Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/6/2003 2:31:09 PM EDT
I'm considering taking a couple of cheap 5.45 bakelites and trying to block them to 5 rounds for "hunting mags". (state regs.)

I'd like to do this without cutting the mags in case I feel the need to restore them to full capacity at some point.

I only have one 5.45 5 rounder that came with my CUR2, it would be nice to have a spare. I could even use these for popping groundhogs with my .223 NHM90...

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:02:02 AM EDT
[#1]
You're worried about $5.00 ?  I mean, come on... Buy two mags and block them.  For $10.00, who cares?  Cut a piece of wood that follows the curve of the mag and fits inside the spring. bevel the follower end slightly.  Make it too long, and shorten till only 5 rounds fit.  Done.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:19:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Get a wooden dowell about an 1/2 inch diameter and play with it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:20:25 PM EDT
[#3]
It's not so much worrying about cutting up a $5-7 mag, it's more for appearance and legalities.

Walking through the fields in search of gophers with a big bakelite mag appeals to me!

I know some of the Yugo AK's came in with 30's blocked to 5 rounds to be compliant yet retain their original "look". Just wanted to try it...

If I find something that works I'll post it, the factory 5 rounder is a short little thing--only sticks out 1 1/4 " on the rear and 1" on the front. I can probably use it for a rough measurement of the 5 round mark...
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top