Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/29/2003 11:57:09 AM EDT
I have built several FAL's and am wanting to build an AK. I live about 15 min from centerfire systems and would like to know if any of their kits will do? I understand from studying several other peoples threads that if it is a new or good shape parts kit then headspacing should be ok (I know it will need to be checked though). My main question is do the milled reciever AK's have trunions like a stamped or is the barrel threaded directly into the reciever? In other words if I order a Bulgarian kit am I going to have to come up with a milled reciever, or can I use the rivited or screwed method? also where can you buy milled AK recievers? Please look at the link I placed below and tell me which of the AK kits will be the easiest to build.

http://64.226.66.194/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CSI&Category_Code=PK
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 3:31:54 PM EDT
[#1]
No, a milled kit does not have a trunnion, as you suspected the barrel is pressed or threaded right into the receiver.

You can mill down the receiver stubs to use as trunnions or buy a trunnion. but then you will definitely have to re-headspace.

The only way to make sure that the headspace will be correct, is to buy a "all matching numbers" kit. That ensures what you are buying is a actual disassembled rifle, and not a box of parts.

The PMKMS kits that Global has are beautiful, unfired and matching numbers.
They are underfolders so you can either pin the folder open or get a fixed stock rear trunnion ($18)if you want to go that route.

But your best bet is to stick with a stamped kit, if you're going to use a stamped receiver.

To be honest, none of the kits at that link is what you want. The closest one would be the AMD-65, which is a great kit, in fact I have one on order. But they only have a 12-1/2" barrel, which is too short to be legal, so I'm going to attach a fake suppressor to make it long enough.

Link Posted: 5/29/2003 3:40:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh, I almost forgot.
To answer the other part of your question. The bulgy is a good kit, if you want to go the milled receiver route.

Milled receivers are available here.
down towards the bottom of the page.
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/firingline/
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 3:40:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:21:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all of the information, I think I am going to order one of the PMKMS kits from global trade. I belive that I am going to get one of the AKM recievers from Ohio Ord. works Are these the best recievers going?
Which are the most commonly replaced parts? I know the most common on the FAL's are the HTS set, and the butt stock, forearm, and pistol grip. If I decypher it correctly I understand that only 5 parts must be replaced with US parts on the AK if youy use no muzzle device? if this is the case I will probibly go hammer, trigger, disconnector, pistol grip, and gas piston.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:04:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Those are the 5 most commonly used US parts.

Don't forget the PMKMS has a threaded muzzle. You will need to permanently attach a muzzle nut, or a US made brake.

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top