Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/2/2003 10:39:14 AM EDT
Should I give this a shot or will it warp it if I spot HT the trigger and hammer holes with my mapp torch?  I am finished except fot this issue.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:47:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 12:50:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Bent metal spot heat treat,is that a new rock band?
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:19:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
if you have a source for localized (spot) induction heat treating, that would be the preferrable route to follow.

what material did use use to build your receiver? maybe i can get you some guides for temperature/color.

Its the bent-metal.com 4130 blank.  I had planned to go red, quench, then take it up to blue... hopefully without any warping.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:48:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I did this tonight as an experiment... what the heck its just a $25 blank.  The receiver didn't warp at all but a couple of the holes in the lower rails (for hammer and center support clearance) seemed to shift a little.  

I did some filing there and the metal was definitely hardened.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top