Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/28/2002 7:09:25 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:52:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Campy Ive heard through internet grape vine that Hess recievers was heat treat completly.The intire reciever.Ive heard the OOW recievers wasn't completely heated but just in the wear ares. Where are they exactly treated at??? Do you see them to holding up on the abuse side in the long run? Troy seems to like them and builds Class 3 weapons on them.Whats your opinion.And Im with you ,It show would be nice to have a Bulgie reciever. {:P}  War Dawg  
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 9:40:35 AM EDT
[#2]
WarDawg,  I was going to ask the same question.  I just ordered a 74 parts kit from K-VAR and plan on having Troy build my rifle in March(their next AK-74 run).  

I have not ordered my OOW receiver yet, and would really like to hear your reply Campy.

It is just f*%@#n evil that the Bulgarian receivers had to be cut in half in order to import.  Makes one just want to cry!

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:52:14 PM EDT
[#3]
CB,
That's real interesting. Those rec. are obviously fairly hard as they have a bunch of springback to them when you remove them from the trunions. Not so with the OOW's. They can actually be deformed, or dented easily. Did you ever Rockwell a Hesse? I really prefer them to the OOW. as they are fully HT, and the upper rails are formed same as the Bulg. ones. It's hard to see how they bend the hard material so sharply without cracking, though.
                                       Pete
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:56:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 7:45:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I remember back when CZ MX bikes still came with mild steel tubing frames when everything else was made of much lighter/stronger Chrome Moly steel.
Chrome Moly steel was a strategic material to all commies and all they could make was used for WEAPONS production, not motorcycles.

If American made stamped recievers are made out of pressed mild steel I wouldn't think they are worth anything. Spot hardened or not.

I think it's real interesting that you have discovered that the commieland receivers are made of a very high grade of steel.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:12:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I do not think they are made of mild steel. If so, the low carbon content of that material would preclude any hardening at all as done on the OOW items. Those channels are likely 4130A, or N temper alloy like the BENT METAL pieces. To HT them all over after forming and putting in the holes would end up a warped mess. Bending out of pre HT sheet would be the most foolproof method. I wonder if that's how Hesse's and the foreign ones are done, as Campy suggests. There's a fellow over on AK net offering to spot HT the rails (upper?) the holes, and ejector.                Pete
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 12:51:22 PM EDT
[#7]
So, would it be worthwhile on any future builds involving a OOW rec to send it out and have it heat-treated?? If so, where would be a good place to have that done?
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 8:08:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:21:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Do you have a link for the Hungarian receivers?
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 3:08:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, I'll have the time to dick around with upgrading an OOW rec, besides, I need the parts count. So, who heat treats??
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 3:36:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top