Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/21/2002 10:25:20 AM EDT
I've been reading the threads about screwing the receiver to kits having a pressed on front trunnion.  Some people are using locktite or JB Weld to secure the threads and fill in the indentation under the screw head.  So here's what I'm wondering about:  How about coating the threads and filling the indentation with 1200deg soldering paste (after headspace and function testing is performed).  Heck, it could also be used to fill in the hex hole in the screw cap and filed smooth so it looks like a rivet.

Opinions?
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 12:53:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 8:16:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you really want to take your rec. channel, trunion, and barrel to the temp. needed to flow that solder?
                  Pete
Link Posted: 12/21/2002 9:12:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Probably not, which is why I originally posted this.  I just read Campy's treatise on using the barrel as a bucking bar and employing 3/16 longer-than-stock rivets.  Looks like a winner.

Treatise is a big word for me, btw.  

I also don't need to use 1200 deg solder, I could use something in the 600 deg range.

Link Posted: 12/22/2002 5:01:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 6:32:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
ohiorapidfire appears to use this method of assembly (from what i've been told) and has run into no problems.

again, this only goes to reinforce my belief that the function of the rivets in the kalashnikov is greatly over rated.

Campy are you saying Ohiorapidfire uses screws to assemble AK's? That would ease my mind to know someone else is using this method with good results! I still need to send my rifle out to get headspacing checked and get her parked, but in the back of my mind I still worry about the screws working loose.

Guess I just worry too much!
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 7:32:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quib

stop worrying, screws are fine

yet, I like the idea of using the barrel for bucking a rivet, yet so many recommend not doing this, but they are also the same folks who don't screw ak's together, since there is no movement between the trunnion and barrel and the rivet head mushroomed in that cavity, whats the problem and if it don't work well just drill it back out and do over. I believe campy used a compressor not a sledge!

is that right campy?

has anyone used a sledge to drive their rivets in??

sprat
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top