Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2002 10:32:18 AM EDT
I have a barrel that had a slot cut in it to a point that it appeared dangerously deep, So I wire feed welded on it (polishing with a SS wire wheel after each bead was laid down) until I had a full barrel diameter and then I lathe turned the barrel and milled a proper sized slot in the barrel and re-blued it.

It's a .223 barrel.  It looks good but do you think this method is sound? Or will the thing blow up on me?
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 10:41:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 1:53:15 PM EDT
[#2]
The slot was for the front handguard retainer. (about 5 inches up the barrel and 2 inches from the muzzle <Krinkov barrel)

The guy I bought it from had hacked this slot (probably with a dremel) deep enough to come within about .150inch of the side of the bore.  I thought the bore would be horribly distorted by the welding but I tryed anyway and welded a little bead at a time (to avoid melting the bore) and when I was done the bore still looked perfect. (but I don't know if the wire feed weld rod will hold as well as the barrel originally would have.  
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top