Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/29/2002 7:26:09 PM EDT
K VAR has AK74 kits on their site right now that are de-milled Bulgarian rifles. (center of reciever is cut out)
I called K VAR, and was informed that they are UN ISSUED, never fired rifles.
price is $189.99, and includes a 5% rebate if you join their forums.
www.k-varcorp.com

I ordered one, I will post pics / reviews when it comes.
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you knwo if there is enough of the receiver left for me to reverse engineer one of my own manufacture?
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 7:40:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Do you knwo if there is enough of the receiver left for me to reverse engineer one of my own manufacture?

I sorta doubt that...It looks like there is only the parts of the reciever that are riveted to the front, and rear trunnions.
Here is a pic of the kit with polymer furniture,
(I got the one with the wood)

Im going to build mine onto an Ohio Ordinance reciever most likely.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 3:12:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 11:19:17 AM EDT
[#4]
This is calling me now it is below $200.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 11:30:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
This is calling me now it is below $200.

Join K VAR's forums,...and you get a discount.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 5:18:20 PM EDT
[#6]
DAMN YOU GUYS!! I was giving this some thought after I got the email from K-Var and kinda decided to pass because I wasnt sure who I could get to put it together for me. I'm patiently waiting for the LEGP but I waaant(<-whine) one to play with in the meantime. I got all those magazines and nothing that they fit in. What's a guy to do?? [>(]
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 8:45:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Is it legal to use the parts as is with an American-made receiver to produce a rifle?

Or would one have to buy a new stockset and FCG, etc...?

TIA
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 9:49:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Is it legal to use the parts as is with an American-made receiver to produce a rifle?

Or would one have to buy a new stockset and FCG, etc...?
TIA

Well,...the U.S. reciever will count as another "U.S. made part",  freeing up one of the other normally "must replace" parts.

I am going to add U.S. hammer/trigger/disconnector, U.S. gas piston, U.S. pistol grip (looks exactly the same), maybe swap out the muzzle break for a U.S. one, and I havent decided on the buttstock yet.

I short...YES, you still have to change out some parts to satisfy the 922r. You need 6 U.S. parts,...7 if you leave the muzzle break (I think)
You also technically need to take off the bayonet lug, and blind pin the muzzle break.

Campy,...did I miss anything?
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 3:50:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 11:06:22 AM EDT
[#10]
So the kit isn't really that great of a deal since you can't use that many parts and be legal, right?

You can't use the furniture.

You can't use the gas piston.

You can't use the FCG.

Hmmmmm.  What do folks to with the evil foreign parts?
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 12:41:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 12:56:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Agreed,...This kit is an EXCELLENT deal. (especially now that I know I only need six U.S. parts to leave the commie muzzle break)
Im leaving the Bulgarian furniture on, and adding Red Star trigger group (3 parts), U.S. gas piston (there's 4), a U.S. pistol grip (5 parts, and looks exactly the same)...All on an OOW reciever, (6 U.S. parts, with no exterior cosmetic changes)

Also,...a rifle built with this Bulgarian stuff will be WAY nicer than any Romanian SAR
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 9:11:23 PM EDT
[#13]
You folks have me convinced.  I've ordered the polymer stock kit on special.  I doubt I can build it myself, but maybe someone can legally assemble it.

Hey, Campy, I did see a lamp once made out of AK parts.  It was at some artsy fartsy outdoor Art/crafts show.  I think they used the gas piston and barrel of an AK47 to make a table lamp.  Looked nice, actually.  Of course, the rest of the art around it was all very anti-gun (i.e., gun owners were compensating for a small manhood, etc.)

Um, if the Bulgarian pistol grip looks exactly like the USA made one... oh, nevermind.

If I did find someone to legally assemble the parts into a legal postban AK74, would I save any money to have say, the trunions put in place and the barrel pinned and headspaced, the bayonet lug milled off and then put in the FCG and stock myself?

I could kick myself -- Tapco had the AK74 magazines and a bag combo a few months ago.  Now they don't.  Barring K-var, anywhere else to get inexpensive AK74 magazines?

Thank you thank you!
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 3:38:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I just couldn't hold out any longer and I just ordered my kit with black funiture!!! I forsee lots of questions about riviting versus screwing and about pressing on the barrel. I can't wait for it to arrive. I ordered it and two of the mag pouches and with shipping the total cost was only $200.72. Almost immediately received email confirmation.

Link Posted: 10/9/2002 10:11:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Oh Man!! Here I go again. I'm winding down my gun obsession, finding other stuff to do with my life, boadening my horizons, and this has to happen. I mean, I already got 7 AK's.
So, I go to the site, it looks like the gun is the partial parts kit W/O the trunion.  How do I be sure to get the de-milled kit??  
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 11:20:49 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
So, I go to the site, it looks like the gun is the partial parts kit W/O the trunion.  How do I be sure to get the de-milled kit??  

It definitely HAS the trunion, Yes it is a de-milled rifle...it has the middle section of the reciever cut out of it.
All that is missing is sheet metal.
In fact, it has all the original full auto fire control parts, and auto sear (so those have to be replaced with legal parts)
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top