Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/15/2002 12:45:21 PM EDT
I found the below information on ak47.net under build your own. I'll check up on it when I have the time to see if any updates have been added because people are wanting pictures of it.

Here it is:

jcotter

I built an AK barrel press using a 1" dia piece of all thread. You might consider going that route.

I like the screw type press better than hydraulics for AKs. When you press with a hydraulic it will build up pressure as you pull on the handle, then the barrel makes a pop sound and jumps forward several thousandths, as it gets tight.

With the screw press the forward movement of the barrel is blocked by the threads so it can only move forward a thousandth at a time. Much better for precisely setting headspace, not to mention if you press the barrel too far in with an AK it is hard to press it back out because the ejector is in the way.

I also wanted my AK press to lay down horizontal on a table so I could have jigs that held the rear site base in alignment with the receiver that way the rear site base wouldn’t end up canted.

Services for AR15, G3, MP5, FAL, Galil, & AK47 type rifles.

[email protected]
Type 7 FFL/SOT 2

Link Posted: 8/27/2002 3:15:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 3:39:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Here's the link to the thread about the press. Some pictures of it has been posted. Campy, can you bring them over to this site?

www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73887

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top