Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/24/2019 10:43:47 AM EDT
Hey Y'all.
Apologies if I'm posting this in the wrong subforum, but this seemed appropriate. If I've guessed wrong, MOds please move.

Like the title says, I'm an AK virgin. I've handled and shot a few (and liked them), but I've never owned one but I'm considering a hybrid build.

I absolutely love the look of the stock Russian AK74, but 5.45 isn't really available in my area and, frankly, I don't have the opportunity to shoot often enough to make bulk ordering online worthwhile. One of the things I love about the look is the orange and plum bakelite mags so 5.56 isn't really what I'm looking for and, to be perfectly honest, I have ARs for that.

Given that and just the dearth of spare parts in my area, and cheap good quality 7.62x39 I'm considering going for an AK47 build that is as close as possible visually to a stock 74. I wanted to know if anyone has done something similar or if they have any comparison pics to answer a few questions. I know 74 style muzzle brakes exist, but the ones I've seen in person just look a little off. Like they look too short. It may just be perspective, but I wanted to ask if there's a (more or less) exact equivalent and if anyone has any side by side comparison pics.

I know bakelite mags are available (if expensive, though not THAT much more than a 74) but more out of curiosity did they ever make them in the plum or are they pretty much all the orange?

Lastly, furniture: I think I've seen Russian red furniture sets but has anyone had any luck stripping and re-staining more common furniture to match? I'm aware that I'm probably looking at a $900-1000 for the rifle and a couple bakelite mags, but I'd rather not add another $150-200 for furniture if it can be fairly easily replicated given a bit of time and patience at home.

Thanks in advance,

Jaa
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 11:06:32 AM EDT
[#1]
So are you looking for parts or have u decided where you are going to buy them??
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So are you looking for parts or have u decided where you are going to buy them??
View Quote
Haven't started buying parts yet, this is research before I dive in.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 12:15:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you building the gun or are you buying a gun and bolting on some parts?

If your building one your gonna need tools.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 2:04:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Are you building the gun or are you buying a gun and bolting on some parts?

If your building one your gonna need tools.
View Quote
Open to either, depends on how much free time I'll have when I'm ready to purchase.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 6:44:33 PM EDT
[#5]
An AK-103 is generally the pattern you want minus the side folding stock (I assume). If you're going to build, I'd pick up a basic Romanian AKM kit and instead of using the barrel components, pick up a Bulgarian AK-74 gas block and front sight block (you should be able to use the rear sight block from the kit).

If you hit a snag, I could build the kit on an 80% receiver that you could just drill and ream the holes for yourself.

Plum bakelite mags don't exist to my knowledge. If they do, they're extremely rare and will cost you a couple of grand given what green bakelite goes for. Arsenal made some plum waffle polymer mags, but those aren't easy to find anymore either. You could get some of the tan-colored Magpul 7.62x39 mags and dye them plum. As for furniture, "Russian Red" is just marketing wank in the US, and doesn't really mean anything given everyone has their own interpretation of what "Russian Red" is, and are usually WAY off from original. But yes, you could take surplus furniture and refinish it to more closely match Soviet-era laminate furniture given you start with laminate furniture.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 8:56:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
An AK-103 is generally the pattern you want minus the side folding stock (I assume). If you're going to build, I'd pick up a basic Romanian AKM kit and instead of using the barrel components, pick up a Bulgarian AK-74 gas block and front sight block (you should be able to use the rear sight block from the kit).

If you hit a snag, I could build the kit on an 80% receiver that you could just drill and ream the holes for yourself.

Plum bakelite mags don't exist to my knowledge. If they do, they're extremely rare and will cost you a couple of grand given what green bakelite goes for. Arsenal made some plum waffle polymer mags, but those aren't easy to find anymore either. You could get some of the tan-colored Magpul 7.62x39 mags and dye them plum. As for furniture, "Russian Red" is just marketing wank in the US, and doesn't really mean anything given everyone has their own interpretation of what "Russian Red" is, and are usually WAY off from original. But yes, you could take surplus furniture and refinish it to more closely match Soviet-era laminate furniture given you start with laminate furniture.
View Quote
Thanks. If I go the lazy route and just buy a rifle and swap some parts in, are there any mid-tier price point rifles you recommend starting with? I've heard so many conflicting stories about Century / Riley / Pioneer etc. and what imported receivers / barrels  to look for on non-US manufactured guns I have no idea who or what to believe (beyond Arsenal is the gold standard and Bulgarian is top tier import).
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top