Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2019 6:27:24 PM EDT
Anyone have any thought on this wood kit. Looks good in the pics. Says foreign made. If you bought a kit. What are your impressions of it.

They claim country of origin unknown. Any guesses? Thanks
https://www.clearviewinvest.com/akfinishedwoodstocksetcomplete.aspx
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 8:59:41 PM EDT
[#1]
The shade of the wood, combined with a solid wod upper handguard, would seem to say Romanian to me.
Polish or Russian would usually have laminated upper HG's.  And the PG is wrong for a Hungarian. Def not Yugo.
Link Posted: 8/28/2019 9:25:43 PM EDT
[#2]
This may not help much, as I do not think any one of the people that responded to another guys same question over on the AKfiles forum, are even remotely on the same page. They all list links to different stock sets from other sources, that are not really like the OPs photo. LOL

But maybe it will help anyway. Thanks

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386867
Link Posted: 8/29/2019 4:43:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Taiwan set. I had one years ago when they first showed up and I wasn't impressed. Hopefully, they've improved them since then.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 10:03:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought it and installed it. It seems to be pretty good wood for the price to me.. I am still unsure of its origin. But it is much better than what I had.

Pic

Thanks

Link Posted: 9/8/2019 7:17:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep that's the Taiwan wood set as already mentioned.

The worst thing most have said about it was that the wood was soft and required fitting to most AKs.

It can't be any worse than the Chu/catalpa wood stocks that came with most Chinese AKs and SKSes
Link Posted: 9/10/2019 7:54:28 AM EDT
[#6]
It took some minor fitting but only some light sanding on the mating surfaces is all. I do not know what some would call "soft"  But I am a long time amateur woodworker and this stuff appears as as hard and strong as most hardwoods I know of. It is a laminate of course, not a solid wood, but every bit as strong and a solid, if not stronger.. I am happy for the price paid.
Link Posted: 10/1/2019 9:57:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a set. Couldn't beat the price, ha. First tried it on my AKV, then moved it to my AK when I found a red wood set. Seemed pretty solid to me. Just make sure you put three screws in the stock.

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top