Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/11/2017 9:59:37 PM EDT
I'm a big fan of DIY ar-15 building, from the perspective of the custom options, not having it registered, etc, and im thinking about taking the dive into AK home-building but obviously its a fair bit more involved than ar-15 building. I've looked into the necessary tools and the cost is enough to put that extra bit of thought into it.

so my question is, guys who have bought all the necessary tools and started DIY'ing AK's, when you factor in the startup cost, learning curve, time, etc, is it worth it over just buying a factory AK?

just looking for some real insight before moving forward
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 10:24:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but I decided there's too much to screw up without some expensive tools/presses/whatnot.  So I stuck with buying AKs already built.  I've built about 2 dozen ARs, some bolt-action rifles, and a few shotguns, but AKs have too much riveting that you have to get just right.  Didn't seem worth it to me.  YMMV
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 7:42:43 AM EDT
[#2]
No. I built my Romy G afew years ago.......Prices should be coming down now the we have Trump in office.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:32:25 PM EDT
[#3]
When you build, especially from a flat, you are making a one off custom rifle.  

Because of all the fabrication, there is really a bit of you in the rifle.  It's hard to explain, but when I shoot my home built aks, it's a very personal experience.

When I look at my builds, I'm thinking, that my weld, those are my rivets...
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top