Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2014 10:24:18 AM EDT
Not having too much luck getting anyone local to remove the pressed / pinned brake on my SLR 95, and then thread the barrel for me. I do not want to ship it somewhere, have the barrel pulled from the receiver, etc so I am considering cutting the brake off and threading myself. I have never threaded a barrel before but from what I see, the CNC warrior kit looks pretty straight forward. I could just clamp the rifle into benched vices and do it fully intact right? Any other "first timers" take on this task that have any advice / or can shed light on how hard the task was? Ultimately, I would like to end up with the SRVV jet brake on my SLR 95
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 2:17:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I just did my first one yesterday. I recommend getting the warrior kit. Assembling the tools and waiting is a real PIA, and ya don't save much.  I just put a piece of plywood on my bartop and clamped it down with C clamps. Then I laid the gun horizontally on a couple of 2x4s. I have a couple of those wooden clamps (Johnsen, Jansen? brand.)  So I just tightened them on the barrel and gas tube, and on the stock at the rear and it pulled  down tight onto the plywood.  Then I stuck the die and guide into the barrel, lubed it up and away I went.  I was real nervous at first, but a few minutes later it was done.  Very easy and kool.  Look at a couple of videios on Youtube to give you more confidence. Good luck!
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top