Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/7/2013 8:35:28 AM EDT
Ive searced for a while now and still a little vague on certain things. Ive build dozens of ARs but never an AK and Ive wanted one for a while now. Im basically stuck on step one, locating a receiver. I see a lot of people buying unbent receivers and bending them. Where would i look to find a receiver that is pre-bent ready for a parts kit. I just want to build a standard (no folder) higher quality AK and need a receiver, any suggestions or recommendations?
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 8:52:28 AM EDT
[#1]
NODAK SPUD.

I know, strange name, dodgy looking website, but pretty much the GOTO for AK receivers.

If you are going to have someone else guid it, make sure s/he wi  build on a brand X receiver before you get it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 9:19:32 AM EDT
[#2]
no, i will be the one building it. thank you. I saw that website while searching, good to know they are a reputable seller. I see they have alot of diff style recievers, which style reciever is a common platform to build off of. Like a said I dont want any type of folder and i dont wanna end up with some crazy receiver that is hard to find parts for lol. Id also like everything to be bent and pre drilled
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 9:23:28 AM EDT
[#3]
how about the NDS-1 EZ? that a pretty common platform? why would someone not get the EZ model without the trunion holes drilled?
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
no, i will be the one building it. thank you. I saw that website while searching, good to know they are a reputable seller. I see they have alot of diff style recievers, which style reciever is a common platform to build off of. Like a said I dont want any type of folder and i dont wanna end up with some crazy receiver that is hard to find parts for lol. Id also like everything to be bent and pre drilled
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The receiver you choose will depend mainly on the parts kit that you get. Since this is your first I would suggest one that already has the barrel populated and headspaced to the front trunnion.

Quoted:
how about the NDS-1 EZ? that a pretty common platform? why would someone not get the EZ model without the trunion holes drilled?

The holes in the NDS-1 EZ almost never line up with the holes in the trunnion. So people end up having to egg out the holes which sometimes leaves part of the hole exposed after riveting. Or in my case, you'll have to completely weld up the holes and drill new ones because they were that far off. You're better off just drilling them from the get go to be sure that you have the correct positioning and coverage.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I just want to build a standard (no folder) higher quality AK and need a receiver, any suggestions or recommendations?
View Quote

As to this, I can tell you right now that your first build is NOT going to be higher quality than a factory AK. That's going to be the build that most of your mistakes will show. After the second or third (sometimes more for others) then you'll start turning out nice builds. A lot of it is skill and knowledge as opposed to just getting everything to fit together somehow. Some guys with quite a few builds under their belt still don't turn out anything better than a WASR.
Link Posted: 12/7/2013 7:16:33 PM EDT
[#6]
You could try 74ullc.

There are some guys here who have used them; I have no direct experience with anything other than Nokad Spud.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:43:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You could try 74ullc.

There are some guys here who have used them; I have no direct experience with anything other than Nokad Spud.
View Quote

They make the best receivers, but you're going to have to wait. I'm about to hit one year exactly waiting on my Bulgarian AKS-74U receiver.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 5:05:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You could try 74ullc.

View Quote

If you're just building a regular AK just for the heck of it, don't bother with 74ULLC.

I had them do the receiver for my no-expense-spared Tula Krink (and it came out absolutely perfect), but the rest of my builds are on NDS receivers.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 3:40:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The holes in the NDS-1 EZ almost never line up with the holes in the trunnion. So people end up having to egg out the holes which sometimes leaves part of the hole exposed after riveting. Or in my case, you'll have to completely weld up the holes and drill new ones because they were that far off. You're better off just drilling them from the get go to be sure that you have the correct positioning and coverage.
View Quote

I agree that the holes in the receivers almost never line up right, so it would be a good idea to drill them your self.
For a receiver that has almost no back log or you don't need to wait for them to start making them, give this place a try.
I have built from them & they work as good as any other receiver & cost a little less in case you mess it up on your first build.

http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/Firearms/OOWExclusiveFirearms/AKReceivers.cat
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top