Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/7/2012 3:52:46 AM EDT
Does any one have instructions to thread the muzzle of a ak I think I know how to do it but would like to see some instructions just incase.

Also what should the diameter of the barrel be to thread it.

thanks
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 7:18:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not home to give you exact measurements, but if the die looks like it fits on the end of the barrel, you should be pretty close.

Most dies have a screw that allows you to adjust diameter a small amount. Start with the adjustment set loose, so you're cutting shallow threads. This makes it easier, more accurate, and you're less likely to damage the tool. After completing the first pass, tighten it up a bit, and make a second pass. Continue until the threads are deep enough. Usually two passes are plenty. Be sure to tighten the die in the handle well.

Use plenty of oil, and go slow. 1/4 -1/2 turn and then back off. Remove chips frequently. Stuff a couple patches in the barrel to keep crap out of it. I've found it a lot easier to put the barrel in a vise so you can use both hands on the die.

I prefer to use a pilot when doing threads by hand to keep the threads as straight as possible. The pilot threads into your die so that it keeps it straight. Insert the pilot in the die so that you have 3-4 threads available for cutting. As you start cutting and make 2-3 revolutions, move the pilot back up into the die to make more threads available for cutting. You can secure the pilot on the back of the die with a muzzle brake.

Apply pressure evenly and smoothly to start. Once you get a few threads going, it will be easier. The temptation will be to go faster. Don't.

Az
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 4:22:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's some basic instructions:

http://preciseinnovationsllc.com/threadinginstructions.htm

To which I'll add:

Buy some actual threading and tapping fluid at a hardware store.  Works much better and it's cheap.

Stick some paper towel down the bore a couple of inches to keep chips out of the action.

Use some aluminum foil to form a funnel around the barrel to catch chips.  Watch the chips.  These are sharp as razors and will embed into your shoes.  Walk over a wood or linoleum floor and these chips will cut the floor to shreds.   Do some threading barefoot or in sandals and they'll cut your feet to a bloody shreds.

Open the die up to make a slightly shallower thread the first pass, then close it to finish to full depth.  This is easier.    As usual with tapping or threading, turn the die forward a partial turn then back it off a partial turn to clear the chip, then forward farther.  

Once the barrel is threaded, turn the die over to the flat side and finish the threads up to the front sight base.
Most dies have a beveled side to start threads and a flat side to finish.
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 8:44:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I just did mine.  I took my saiga to a gun smith.  I figured with the cost of the tools i would use once, it would just be better to let a pro do it.  It cost me $80.
Link Posted: 4/9/2012 6:44:06 PM EDT
[#4]
the tools are about 60 bucks and the die is a reverse thread M14 x!1 1 1/2 die...
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 3:10:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I just did mine.  I took my saiga to a gun smith.  I figured with the cost of the tools i would use once, it would just be better to let a pro do it.  It cost me $80.

I thought about it and decided that having the tools would be better than driving to a gunsmith and leaving my gun with him. Since then, I've threaded 3 more barrels and loaned the tools out to friends.

It's been well worth the $60 in the long run.

Az
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top