Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/9/2011 3:49:56 PM EDT
I see there are a few company's that make the big jigs that go inside the barrel slot to smash the rivets with a press. I have built about 8 AK's using the bolt cutter style smasher, I want to buy something a little better to use. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:17:08 PM EDT
[#1]
AK-builder has the best rivet jig.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 3:09:18 AM EDT
[#2]
+100
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 10:16:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Another +1 to AKB. I've had their rivet tool for a few years now. It works perfectly for all the different builds I did. Very solid, has excellent reach and well made.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:02:06 AM EDT
[#4]
i just bought the short rivet jig from gunthings.com. way much nicer than the POS i homemade years ago out of junk iron when kits were cheap and could afford to mess them up. after using it on a $400 polish kit, it's worth every penny!!
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 3:34:46 PM EDT
[#5]
AK Builder does make a good riveting jig, but a big price tag doesn't make it the best.
My first build I made my own out of a 3/4" grade 8 bolt like this, and believe it or not it worked great.
It works for all the rivets on the front trunnion of the Romy G.
To do the swell neck rivets you need a 1/4" ball brearing.
Just set the BB in the cup of the bucking bar where the rivet is, locate the rivet hole over the BB and press inside the trunnion with the bolt riveter until you get the crimp you need.

Please excuse my makeshift drawing, I would have taking pictures but I gave the set-up to a friend when I up graded.
I used a 5" or 6" bolt & cut the threaded end off, then gound the end of the shaft into shape, it is best if you keep the bolt as short as possible.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 2:29:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats an interesting idea. I may have to make one.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top