Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2010 8:33:09 AM EDT
I'm hoping you guys don't refer me to the FAQ's, because I've read them up and down and have got nothing on how to complete this rifle.

It's a Yugo upper half that I got from APEX. The receiver was cut in half, so obviously, that needs to be replaced, but I have no idea where to start.

ETA: I'm looking to make it into a standard rifle, not an underfolder.

If any more pictures are needed, feel free to let me know.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:24:09 AM EDT
[#1]
What you have there is a milled M70 kit.  What that means is the rifle originally started life with a receiver that was milled out of a solid chunk of steel.   Later they switched from using milled receivers to using a stamped one (stamped from a sheet of steel)  

In terms of how to finish it you have a couple of options––

1-  Buy a milled Yugo receiver to build it on.  CNC warrior makes an excellent one.  They are costly though (about $300) but this and option #2 are the most accurate for your rifle kit. CNC Warrior M70 Fixed stock Reciever

2-  Have someone like Turbothis re-weld the receiver you have to rebuild it.   Another costly method but Matt does amazing work ($350 to re-weld)  You will also need to find a fixed stock M70 milled rear stub on top of the reweld costs. Turbothis Re-weld service

3-  Remove the barrel assembly from the milled front stub, buy a stamped front trunnion and rear trunnion and build it as a stamped kit.  Will run you around the same price once you figure in all the pieces you will have to buy ($300-ish)

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:41:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks so much for your reply!

Option number one sounds the best to me. Will the rivet (the one above the Yugo symbol) need to be removed in order to get rid of the old receiver? If so, what will be the best way to go about doing this?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:12:28 AM EDT
[#3]
That isn't a rivet. It's the barrel pin, and yes it will have to be removed in order to press the barrel out of that stub.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 1:12:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That isn't a rivet. It's the barrel pin, and yes it will have to be removed in order to press the barrel out of that stub.

Thanks, guys.

Removing the barrel pin will require some kind of press, right? If so, I may be able to have my local gun shop do it for me.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 2:52:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Some guys report success with using a BFH and a punch. Others mount a shortened punch and the receiver stub in a large bench vice, tighten it down, and whack it with a BFH.

I don't recommend either method, IMO a press is your friend. But there are alternatives.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#6]
With that nice, crisp, clear lettering on the stub,  you should give the reweld method a bit more consideration.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:01:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:29:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
2-  Have someone like Turbothis re-weld the receiver you have to rebuild it.   Another costly method but Matt does amazing work ($350 to re-weld)  You will also need to find a fixed stock M70 milled rear stub on top of the reweld costs. Turbothis Re-weld service

Turbo This aka matt is a genius of the AK reweld....Check out his work...its amazing. Plus its probably cheaper than buying a new milled receiver, and you will have the original stampings to boot.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:26:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all your help, fellas.

Sounds like you guys are for the re-weld, so I guess that's the route I'll take instead because I would like to keep those markings.

Again, thanks!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:04:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Yet another option, perhaps the hack option but you can either have the front receiver piece milled down to fit inside a stamped receiver and either drill holes to rivet it or have it welded.  There are some very nice looking examples of this option here on this forum.  I was lucky enough not only to get a Ohio Rapid Fire milled receiver before the business was done it also is pretty accurate/to spec.  If I were to do it again I would not hesitate getting a milled receiver as already mentioned (or the reweld looks pretty impressive) but wanted to make sure you were aware of all options.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:25:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yet another option, perhaps the hack option but you can either have the front receiver piece milled down to fit inside a stamped receiver and either drill holes to rivet it or have it welded.  There are some very nice looking examples of this option here on this forum.  I was lucky enough not only to get a Ohio Rapid Fire milled receiver before the business was done it also is pretty accurate/to spec.  If I were to do it again I would not hesitate getting a milled receiver as already mentioned (or the reweld looks pretty impressive) but wanted to make sure you were aware of all options.  

Thanks for your input.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top