Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/29/2010 11:54:54 AM EDT
My SAR 3 front sight block does not have a detent pin or spring.  Can any AK detent pin and spring be used as a replacement?

Is this pretty easy to do?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2010 2:53:19 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as I know yeah.  I have not noticed any major differences in the detent pins/springs.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2010 2:58:01 PM EDT
[#2]
If the FSB has the hole for the detent it should be easy.

No hole, not so much.

BSW
Link Posted: 7/29/2010 8:06:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If the FSB has the hole for the detent it should be easy.

No hole, not so much.

BSW

The hole is there, so I guess that it just pops right in.
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 7:31:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm haviing trouble finding a a combo detent pin/plunger & spring.  I found one for a good price ($5), but they're out of stock.

http://www.tac47industries.com/conte...nd_spring.html

Brownell's had them as well, but they cost $15. That seems a bit expensive.

I found another site that has a Yugo AK combo for $12, but as the Yugo AK's tend to different, I'm not sure that it'll work.

http://www.rguns.net/gunparts/rifle-parts-AK.shtml

Do any of you guys have a combo detent pin/plunger & spring that you'd sell?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 10:30:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm haviing trouble finding a a combo detent pin/plunger & spring.  I found one for a good price ($5), but they're out of stock.

http://www.tac47industries.com/conte...nd_spring.html

Brownell's had them as well, but they cost $15. That seems a bit expensive.

I found another site that has a Yugo AK combo for $12, but as the Yugo AK's tend to different, I'm not sure that it'll work.

http://www.rguns.net/gunparts/rifle-parts-AK.shtml

Do any of you guys have a combo detent pin/plunger & spring that you'd sell?

Thanks!

Nevermind.  I just ordered one from CNC Warrior LLC.  Thanks though.

Link Posted: 8/6/2010 8:57:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Now I need the rear retainer pin for the FSB.
Link Posted: 8/7/2010 1:39:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Now I need the rear retainer pin for the FSB.

I found some info online about how to make your own retainer pin.  I took a drill bit and clipped part of it off.  I then used a punch and drifted it into the rear hole in the front sight block.  It works!  

Here are the instructions that I found from one of the posters on the High Road.

"Installation of Detent Pin and Spring

The hole in which the detent pin and spring are installed is in the front base of the front sight block (FSB) of the AK. Some AKs have only one hole in the front of the FSB, others have a hole that goes completely through the FSB from front to rear. If the AK has only one hole in the FSB, only the front lateral pin must be moved in order to install the detent pin and spring. In rifles that have a hole that goes completely through the FSB from front to rear, both the front and rear lateral pins must be moved in order to install the detent pin and spring. To make the lateral pin(s) in the FSB easier to move, cover the pin(s) with Break Free by putting several drops on the outside of each pin where it enters the FSB as well as on that portion of the pin inside the hole in the FSB and let the rifle sit over night.

To move the pin(s), use a 1/8” steel punch and carefully hammer (drift) the pin(s) from left to right out of the FSB just far enough so the detent pin and spring can be fully inserted into the hole in the FSB (do not remove the pin(s) completely from the FSB). Note that in the center of the detent pin there is a machined groove that must be aligned over the top of the front lateral pin. Also note that the detent pin has a “lip” on the end that is first inserted into the hole. Be sure to insert the spring before inserting the pin. (There was a post by “scromer” on either www.GlockTalk.com or www.gunsnet.net that illustrated the installation of the spring and detent pin but I no longer have the link.)

After insuring that the detent pin and spring are properly inserted, use the punch and hammer to drift the pin(s) back (right to left) into their original position(s). Once in place, the detent pin will easily slide back and forth over the front lateral pin with enough protrusion from the FSB to secure the muzzle device. "
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top