Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2010 7:31:33 AM EDT
While I have made all sorts of AK-47 variations (even a PSL/RomakIII) I am now looking at getting an AK-74 kit.  With the current barrel situation it will be my first US barrel so any direction on that would be helpful, but what I am really trying to find out is how good are the AK-74 kits from Apexguns (https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/51/products_id/1057?osCsid=29e0d4b150f221fff3611d8789e0d976).  Please advise.  Thanks ahead of time.

Link Posted: 1/5/2010 8:00:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
While I have made all sorts of AK-47 variations (even a PSL/RomakIII) I am now looking at getting an AK-74 kit.  With the current barrel situation it will be my first US barrel so any direction on that would be helpful, but what I am really trying to find out is how good are the AK-74 kits from Apexguns (https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/51/products_id/1057?osCsid=29e0d4b150f221fff3611d8789e0d976).  Please advise.  Thanks ahead of time.

I guess you can ask them what the bore size is.  5.45 is slightly smaller than .224 type barrels in the US.  You may want to measure the bullets you have to see if it is like .221 or .222  
If it is the case make sure the bore size on that US barrel matches that.
Otherwise, the accuracy will be so so.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 2:41:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Unless you realy want to do a barrel job you should try getting one of these.
$289.00 AK 74 Rifle Parts Kit Bulgarian Plum Furniture
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct835.aspx
Or
$369.00 AK 74 Rifle Polish Tantal Parts Kit
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct844.aspx
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 3:59:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I was very happy with the 74 kit I got from APEX, everything was in excellent shape.
Unfortunately I didn't use most of what came in that kit, including the barrel, because I made THIS.

Now if you want to know the condition of the RPK 74 barrels that KVAR is selling, well, they're good to go
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 4:43:28 PM EDT
[#4]
God that's beautiful.
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 4:46:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks. Well I guess I'll be able to comment on these US made barels soon; I've decided to buy the parts I was missing and build a fixed stock Bulgy 74!
I've always wanted to build a NO matching numbers aka "mutt" rifle This'll be fun!
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 3:51:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Good to hear when you do.  As for me with school starting again my funds for the build evaporated into books (which will be next to worthless by the end of the semester, gotta love the garbage you have to buy with a vague promise of being able to make more money in your lifetime).  Once I recover those funds I will go ahead with the Apex kit and headspace and install the barrel on my own.  Can't wait to get into this caliber, it should be loads of fun.

Link Posted: 1/13/2010 12:30:26 PM EDT
[#7]
OK...where did you get that side fold full stock! I've only seen one and kick myself for not asking the guy he got it!

That is a sweet build!
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 2:04:48 PM EDT
[#8]
The stock and hardware came from Kvar. It's tough to get ahold of those, but I've got another one with a tan folder furniture set for the new Bulgy 74 I'm working on.
I'm also going to try to adapt a galil topcover to this build to take advantage of the rear peepsight, but I think I'm going to have to fab up a new FSB.
And to top it all off, I've decided to try my hand at camo'ing this rifle with a molyresin finish.

Building AK's is so much fun

Sorry for the hijack, uscombatdiver.
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 9:46:54 AM EDT
[#9]
No worries, but with the money in hand and Apex out of kits I want to hijack the link to ask does anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced AK 74 kit?  
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Define "reasonably priced".
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 12:32:13 PM EDT
[#11]
In this case the definition I am implying is the same price as the ones they had at Apex (it's common for one sight to be sold out and another to pop up with the same kits).  If you don't know what the price was, it was $245 w/wood and $255 w/polymer furniture.  I may end up going with Altantic but was wondering if these kits were some where else for that price.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2010 1:18:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Gunthings has barreless kits for $195. I have no experience with them, so cannot comment on the condition.
Apex still has the east german 5.45 barrels in stock, so if you have the ability to cut the extractor, and the handguard retainer stuff, you can build yourself a very nice 74
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 6:22:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Would you kindly give us a picture when She folded .
THX.
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 1:57:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
THX.

I guess your talking about me...   so hear ya go!

Keep in mind that I've removed the bipod at this point; accuracy was suffering too much.
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 2:08:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
THX.

I guess your talking about me...   so hear ya go!
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n269/iamg0ku/CIMG0931.jpg
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n269/iamg0ku/CIMG0932.jpg
Keep in mind that I've removed the bipod at this point; accuracy was suffering too much.

I certainly hope they are talking to you because I have no clue what they are asking for me to show otherwise.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Oh man,
It is beautiful . Now , I have to get one . Just need the complete  barrel assembly. Any member knows where I can get one beside K-VAR .
Thanks so much for the pictures.
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 6:24:01 PM EDT
[#17]
There's a guy selling one on the EE (rpk 74 barrel assy that is) I forget what his SN is.
But if you're looking to build a hybrid like mine, you'll have some machining to do.

The barrel is 23mm, but the 74 front trunnion is 22mm - so something's gonna have to give. (I bored my trunnion to 23mm because I don't have a lathe to turn down the barrel)

Also, the 'ears' of the front trunnion are too narrow for the rpk 74 RSB, and must be machined open a little (Although I suppose one could use a dremmil )

On top of that, that RPK 74 hanguard retainer is for the big bulky RPK lower handguard.
In order to use regular AKM pattern furniture, I milled out the outside of the original RPK HG retainer, and the inside of a standard 74 HG retainer. Then I welded the two parts together. Then the furniture had to be fitted to fit around that huge RPK barrel. A pretty 'hairy' task for sure.

It's a lot of fun, but definately an 'advanced' build. So if you have the skill, I'd love to see what you come up with

I had so much fun with it, I built two Say hello to my 'frankentantal'

and  one of them both (I couldn't resist )
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 9:54:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks so much for the build detail . Too advance for me.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:34:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks. Well I guess I'll be able to comment on these US made barels soon; I've decided to buy the parts I was missing and build a fixed stock Bulgy 74!
I've always wanted to build a NO matching numbers aka "mutt" rifle This'll be fun!

I'm reneging on this statement. Upon closer examination, my US barrel isn't up to my standards of AK building

First of all, the extractor cut is wrong. Since the handguard slots are already cut, they dictate the orientation of the barrel, and relative to them, the extractor cut is vertical instead of diagonal.

Second, every press fit dimention is wrong. Maybe it's just the combination of the wrong barrel to work with the kit I got, but every press fit area on the barrel is 3 thou smaller  (or more) than the ID on the corresponding kit parts. At the loosest it should be an even match.

It's a dissapointment, I wanted to know how a US 5.45 barrel would shoot, but I'm not gonna build a crap rifle. Guess I'll have to pick up one of those East German barrels from Apex...
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:01:58 PM EDT
[#20]
My barrel looks great and all to spec.  Maybe you should contact who ever you got yours from.  I was too late to get mine from Apex and ended up getting my kit from Atlantic Firearms.  While I certainly hesitated getting a kit from them, it is without a doubt top notch quality.  All I have left to do is rivet the trunions in and press the barrel on.  I have already check the orientation and fit of all the parts and they are surprisingly good (I was totally expecting to have to rebuild the whole thing on another barrel).  I did get one of the Bulgarian AK 74s Centerfiresystems just sold out of Friday and will have that to compare my build to (granted both are US built, so what good is the blind leading the blind?).  I'm getting excited though.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:05:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Looking forward to finished pics and even more to the range report!

Remember, 10 shot groups
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top