Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/16/2009 9:00:33 PM EDT
i bought a couple of yugo barrels to use with my AMD65 kits and one romy G kit. well after turning the barrel down on the lathe so that the hardware could fit on it, i noticed that the notches for the pins did not line up... IE they were wider apart.
the gas tube did not reach either, and the hand guard was about .25 inches too short...
looks like i need to buy a yugo gas tube and hand guard...
anyone ever try this before?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:49:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Its the AMD.....The gas tube and piston are shorter than your average AK tube and piston....ALso, they Yugos arent the same as regular AKs either in a few different ways.....As for the holes not lining up for the pins, thats not uncommon...many people have drilled new slot/holes for the pins or even enlarged the holes slightly....Good luck with your build...
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:44:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Seemed like too much work for me so I never took the plunge.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 6:43:22 AM EDT
[#3]
You could take the flanges off a standard gas tube and make it an AMD is tube.  Yo can also move your handguard retainer back by welding up the cut and then cut it where you need it.  Of course the pin holes can be red-drilled too.  You have gone to alot of trouble to get where you are now, so what is a bit more trouble.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:06:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure why you even thought it might work.   Only way I can think of would be if you had virgin barrels you could redrill.  As standard as ak's are, countries of manufacture are very different.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:23:14 AM EDT
[#5]
On second thought, sure it can work, BUT you'll have to rotate the barrel 180 degrees and drill all new holes and cut a new notch for the hand guard retainer.  When you put on the gasblock, you might want to use bearing grade loctite to help seal it since your gonna have another hole on the opposite site of the barrel.   It'll work, but it will take a lot more effort.  When drilling holes for virgin barrels, I carefully sand the end of the drillbit so it cuts like an endmill.  I have to resharpen it a couple times, but it works.  I usually have to make new pins slightly larger than the original holes.  If you mark the hole locations, you can press the parts back off and notch the barrel with a file where possible.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top