Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2009 1:11:29 PM EDT
I've looked around for awhile and have just a few questions on building an AK from a kit.

If I buy a kit from the EE and a receiver from NDS (or somebody comparable) what exactly do I have to go through to put it together?  I've spent a lot of time on Pookie's web site but these guys are building guns from sheetmetal flats.  Do I have to take apart the rivets in the kit gun to turn around rivet them again onto my new receiver?  Does a store bought receiver come with all the rails inside of it?

Is there an individual or company out there that would assemble something like this for me if I supplied a kit and receiver?  Is that legal?

What is involved in the 922 parts count if I use a kit?  

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 2:24:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Assuming the barrel is in the trunnion, you must remove the barrel; remove the receiver stub and rivets from the trunnion and stock block; install the trigger guard, trunnion and stock block; reinstal the barrel, making sure the headspace is correct and install the rest of the parts.
A 100% receiver has the rails welded in and the center support installed and is heat treated.
A licensed gunsmith can legally assemble the rifle for you.
922(r) requires that no more than ten countable foreign parts be used when assembling the rifle (which usually means that six countable parts are US made). Commonly people use: the fire control group (3). the gas piston (1). the receiver (1). and either the pistol grip or the muzzle attachment.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:53:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I highly suggest watch this guy's videos on building an AK.  Nobody to my knowledge has put together a better series of videos on the subject... and he is building off a 100% receiver.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=BuildyourownAK&view=videos
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:04:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I highly suggest watch this guy's videos on building an AK.  Nobody to my knowledge has put together a better series of videos on the subject... and he is building off a 100% receiver.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=BuildyourownAK&view=videos

+1
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:14:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Great videos, thanks for the link.

One other quick question.  If I buy a kit and either buy a receiver or fold my own, do I still have to replace most of the internals with US parts to be 922 compliant?  What if the kit is from long ago?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:23:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I used a tapco fire control group, I love the feel of it and it counts for 3 us parts. Pistol grip is another easy us part, and dont forget a mag follower, and plate, and even mag can count for us parts. From what I read you only need 1 mag set up with the US parts, not really sure how that works. But thats what I did. Slant brake can be US made, receiver or gas piston. Stocks. There are alot of US parts available where you can keep alot of the original parts on the outside and still be compliant.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:25:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Go here and uncheck the US made parts, it will let you know how many you need. I love this chart.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:52:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Great videos, thanks for the link.

If I buy a kit and either buy a receiver or fold my own, do I still have to replace most of the internals with US parts to be 922 compliant?  What if the kit is from long ago?

922(r) applies to any covered weapon assembled after 11/30/90. The date the original rifle was made is irrelevent.
Note that the law does not require you to replace "internals". It prohibits the use of more than 10 foreign parts. The choice of US made parts is yours to make. Most people use a US made fcg because of cost, but rifles have been legally assembled using the imported fcg by using three other US made parts..

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:57:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
and even mag can count for us parts. From what I read you only need 1 mag set up with the US parts, not really sure how that works.

As long as you only insert the magazine with the US made parts you'll remain compliant. If you insert a magazine that doesn't have the US made parts, arguably you've committed a felony.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:57:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
and even mag can count for us parts. From what I read you only need 1 mag set up with the US parts, not really sure how that works.

As long as you only insert the magazine with the US made parts you'll remain compliant. If you insert a magazine that doesn't have the US made parts, arguably you've committed a felony.

I will see if i can find it, but I read somewhere that rule was changed because people would have hundreds of mags, all you needed was one and it was cool. But the ones I do use have been changed.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:05:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah your right, found the mag thing on the wiki chart I posted earlier. So any mags you use in the gun must all have US parts. I knew what I said didnt sound right thats why I keep all mags US parts anyways, its not to expensive.

As per an ATF letter located here, magazine parts are not subject to constructive possession. If you need US-made magazine parts in order to reach 10 or fewer imported parts, then you don't have to replace parts on all of your magazines - only the ones which you intend to use with this rifle. The easiest solution is to only own US-made magazines, of course, but this is not always feasible, particularly if no US-made magazines are available for the weapon in question or, for legal reasons, you can't buy domestic full-capacity magazines to replace your old imported magazines.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:38:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Go here and uncheck the US made parts, it will let you know how many you need. I love this chart.

Cool link.

One last dumb question.  Virgin kit vs. demilled?  If I buy a kit with the whole front end all together, do I just have to remove the receiver stub and stick it in a new receiver?  

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:43:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Cool link.

One last dumb question.  Virgin kit vs. demilled?  If I buy a kit with the whole front end all together, do I just have to remove the receiver stub and stick it in a new receiver?  

Thanks

Did you watch the videos?

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:50:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool link.

Thanks

Did you watch the videos?

Yes.  I guess what I'm asking or having trouble understanding is if you buy a demilled kit with the barrel already installed, do you have to press it out and put it back in for some reason?  I watched him take it out and then put it back in but I guess I missed why.  It was somewhat of an information overload.

ETA: Figured it out, you can't rivet in the front trunion with the barrel in the way.  Still looking to know if there is any install differences, other than maybe disassembly, in using a virgin vs. demilled kit.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:09:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Yes.  I guess what I'm asking or having trouble understanding is if you buy a demilled kit with the barrel already installed, do you have to press it out and put it back in for some reason?  I watched him take it out and then put it back in but I guess I missed why.  It was somewhat of an information overload.

ETA: Figured it out, you can't rivet in the front trunion with the barrel in the way.  Still looking to know if there is any install differences, other than maybe disassembly, in using a virgin vs. demilled kit.

You got it.  The front trunion can't be properly riveted to the receiver without the barrel removed from the trunion.

I'd highly suggest not doing a virgin build especially if you've never built before.  There is a LOT more work involved such as milling out the extractor relief cut from the chamber face, Pressing on all the barrel components (RSB, Gas Block, FSB), drilling the gas port hole into the barrel, drilling out the barrel pin hole after properly headspacing the barrel inside the trunion.  You're also going to have to assemble a trigger guard/mag catch from scratch.  If you're a somewhat experienced machinist then it may not be too bad but in general, I'd avoid the virgin kits.  One exception is that you could ship the virgin parts off to someone who does have the skills and experience to basically prep the virgin kit for you so that you can assemble it like a regular kit.  

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:26:59 PM EDT
[#15]
You could bastardize it like mine. Build it with a screw kit. Wont have to press out the barrel, but it makes it easier to tap if its already pressed out. Plus the only tools needed would be a gear puller to press out the barrel, possibly a drill press, and then the normal tools to assemble it. Seems like everyone hates screw builds but it was my first build and with no help and no money I got it done in 2 days and when I screwed up my receiver a month later I just unscrewed the parts and slapped them in a new receiver.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top