Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2009 2:28:33 PM EDT
I've been thinking about replacing the gas piston on my rifle with a US-made piston, for compliance reasons.
The bolt carrier seems to have a parkerized finish, and I'm wondering what the best option would be for cleaning up and refinishing the area after the work is done near the piston towards the end.
The color doesn't have to be a spot on match.  I've looked at Brownell's, and have read the descriptions on several products such as the oven-cure Gunkote.  
Would something like that be sufficient, or would the whole carrier need bead blasted and reparked?

Thanks
MGIB
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 5:20:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I did this on my krink. I used the baking lacquer. works ok. It in an area that gets alot of movement, and some has come off from firing it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 4:58:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Cold blue. It won't match perfectly but how many people are going to strip the rifle and inspect the finish on the rivet?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:24:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I used Black permanant marker on one of mine, you can tell but it hides most of the shinyness. or just get a cheap bottle of gun blue, that will work good.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Cold blue. It won't match perfectly but how many people are going to strip the rifle and inspect the finish on the rivet?

What I used.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top