Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/26/2009 1:28:09 PM EDT
Where can I find one, its would be for a yugo m70. The parts kit has a pistol trunion, but would like to mount up a solid rear one. Not sure what part is really needed, someone said euro trunion but I cant find one online.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 1:56:32 PM EDT
[#1]
For an M70 wouldn't you need a Yugo trunnion because of the difference in receiver thickness?
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 1:58:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I have no idea but I found a rear trunion for a m72. not sure if that will work

Link Posted: 7/26/2009 2:10:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Its missing the cover latch but if the furniture is interchangeable then it should work.  The rivet holes look right.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 2:18:01 PM EDT
[#4]
yeah, apex gun parts jsut told me the same thing, is the latch a thing I can drill out, or what.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
yeah, apex gun parts jsut told me the same thing, is the latch a thing I can drill out, or what.

The extra latch is a Yugo part on the M70 rifles except the M72 apparently that holds the top cover on.  Its on the Yugos because of the grenade launcher attachment on the barrel.  The top covers had a tendency to pop off under the heavier stress of the grenade blanks so they had to make a design improvement.

Unless your launching grenades with your yugo I wouldn't even worry about it.  Its pretty useless on semi-auto rifles and is just one more thing to have to mess with.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 2:34:41 PM EDT
[#6]
cool, thanks for the info. just was reading up on the wiki about it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 3:32:19 PM EDT
[#7]
just for clarification, the latch holds the recoil spring retainer toward the rear of the trunnion.  It doesnt DIRECTLY secure the topcover.

That trunnion will work.  Good luck finding a buttstock.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#8]
It comes with one, and all wood parts. I had also ordered a plastic kit, for the romy im not getting, would that also work too.
Pic of the yugo parts

Link Posted: 7/26/2009 3:46:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
just for clarification, the latch holds the recoil spring retainer toward the rear of the trunnion.  It doesnt DIRECTLY secure the topcover.

That trunnion will work.  Good luck finding a buttstock.

So the top cover will still fit on properly and not come off? The top cover has a latch on it correct? The latch will not hook onto anything or will it, with that trunion posted above. I know nothing about these rifles.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It comes with one, and all wood parts. I had also ordered a plastic kit, for the romy im not getting, would that also work too.
Pic of the yugo parts

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y57/beedubae/Kit.jpg

That stock is a Romanian AKM stock and will not work with this build.  The Yugo stick attaches slightly similar to a milled receiver fixed stock with a bolt that goes through the trunnion from the inside of the receiver toward the buttplate.  To make the stock work you would need a "euro" stock block.  

The plastic stock will probably not work either.  You specifically need yugoslav furniture to fit this type of rifle because of its unique variation as opposed to most Eastern Block or Russian AKM designs.

And Cassini is right, the extra yugo latch is a bar that slides through the little dovetail track that retains the recoil spring.  When the button is pushed, it moves a slotted portion of the latch into the right position in the dovetail to allow you to press the recoil spring forward to remove the cover.  With the stock block you ordered, the recoil spring will hold the top cover just like an AKM so it will work fine.

ETA handguards in the picture won't work either.  Google Ironwood Designs.  They make great stuff.  Or you can dig up a foreign yugo stock set.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 6:16:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I decided to also order this trunnion, its more of a universal type in order to attach a rear stock. Since I have to make the receiver I can choose what trunnion to mount when I get all the parts in.
Apex gun parts said this should also work, maybe not for my wood stock but for most all types of wood stocks.

anyone have a link for a euro type trunnion
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I decided to also order this trunnion, its more of a universal type in order to attach a rear stock. Since I have to make the receiver I can choose what trunnion to mount when I get all the parts in.
Apex gun parts said this should also work, maybe not for my wood stock but for most all types of wood stocks.

https://www.apexgunparts.com/images/Tantal/Rear%20Trunnion,%20Tantal.JPG

Yep its a standard AKM stock block and will work with the wood you pictured and the polymer stocks.  If your buying a receiver that is pre-drilled you are going to run into problems.  Are you having it built or BIY'ing it?

Most AKM rear trunnions look exactly like that, with small variations.  The AK74 rear trunnion looks like a 2 prong fork and uses 2 short and 1 long rivet instead of 2 long like the AKM and yugo.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 6:32:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.apexgunparts.com/images/Tantal/Rear%20Trunnion,%20Tantal.JPG

Yep its a standard AKM stock block and will work with the wood you pictured and the polymer stocks.  If your buying a receiver that is pre-drilled you are going to run into problems.  Are you having it built or BIY'ing it?

making it myself, and drilling the holes too. I looked at iron designs, and the m70 stocks look way different from the pic they show and the pic of the stock im getting. Here is a comparison, look at the part that connects into the trunnion, alot smaller then the one im getting. I think my kit has another universal type of rear buttstock

Link Posted: 7/26/2009 6:40:44 PM EDT
[#14]
The trunnion block you showed first in the thread (yugo) will fit the furniture picture you posted from Ironwood.  That little square bump of wood fits into the back side of the block that is not visible in that stock photo.  The second block you posted (AKM) takes the plastic and wood furniture from Romania that you posted in the pick of the kit.  You'll have to use the second trunnion if you want to use the plastic furniture or the one in the kit, but your going to have to shave some off that trunnion for it to fit properly in an M70 receiver because it is made from thicker sheet metal.

I think I was wrong earlier about the andguards.  They do appear to be M70 handguards, if that is a steel cap at the rear where it should meet the receiver.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Well no matter what ive ordered both trunnions, hopefully I can get something to work. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 6:42:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 6:51:56 PM EDT
[#17]
What about the front wood, are those more universal if its the m70 original wood. As long as its in good shape I will probably run with the wood allover, going for the battle field pickup look, but would like the tapco option if needed.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 10:41:45 PM EDT
[#18]
The hand guards with the kit are the right ones for it, the stock is a standard AKM, the second rear trunnion (stock tang) is the right one for the stock in the kit.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 11:02:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Looking at the pic of the kit again, I have to ask.

Are the sides of the front trunnion  flat where the rivets holes are?
If it is then you got an AKM front trunnion with a Yugo barrel assembley. They will still go together but you will have to set head spacing and most likely re-drill the barrel pin hole.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 5:16:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If it is then you got an AKM front trunnion with a Yugo barrel assembley. They will still go together but you will have to set head spacing and most likely re-drill the barrel pin hole.

I wont know until I pick it up, im hoping its put together as shown, I think it was going to be assembled but no one got around to it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 10:01:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Actually that appears to be a pretty rare transitional slab-side yugo trunnion.  The more numerous M70 trunnions are usually bulged like the RPK.  I have never seen an AKM barrel trunnion like that except for Chinese, but those have a staggered rivet pattern.  That's definitely going to be a tough build.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 3:35:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Who sold you the frankenstein kit? Hopefully you got a good price. If you go with the Euro style trunnion you may have to narrow it to fit the thicker Yugo receivers if the slab Yugos are anything like the bulged versions
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#23]
here is a link to all the parts, everything has matching numbers except the front trunnion, couldnt find any numbers at all except a 7
everything looks clean, barrel looks great, but im no expert at all.
pics
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:11:09 PM EDT
[#24]
The Euro style trunnion you show is for a Tantal and will work with a fix stock, but will have some extra holes and notches to mount the Tantal folding  stock it was modified to be used with.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:33:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I have to say, those M70s are just sexy.  You should be able to use any kind of rear trunion, but may have to scrap some off it to make it fit in the thicker Yugo receivers (really depends on where you get your receiver).
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:13:34 PM EDT
[#26]
already got it all built, with tantal rear trunnion. mine has the thinner front trunnion, so I can use a regular made receiver, rear stock went in with a 1/16 of filing, made it a tight fit.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:08:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Man that is a sexy AK

While all AKs are fun to build/shoot/have, something about the Yugos just gets my engine running.  Nice to see AKs are still being born even after Obama.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:27:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Man that is a sexy AK

While all AKs are fun to build/shoot/have, something about the Yugos just gets my engine running.  Nice to see AKs are still being born even after Obama.  

lets just hope it doesnt get aborted by obummer
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top