Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2009 12:40:58 PM EDT
I've ground the rivet heads off, I won't be able to get access to a drill press for a couple weeks.  In the mean time, I was just wondering if there was dremel tool works well for drilling out the short rivets?  Anyone ever tried to use a regular drill press drill bit in a dremel and then drilling out the short rivets by hand?
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 12:47:09 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have ever used a Dremel, you know how unsteady they can be. I wouldn't even fire it up near the gun myself.

Why not use a regular drill (variable speed) and just drill them out that way? Would be alot easier and less risky to me.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 12:57:42 PM EDT
[#2]
are you de-milling a parts kit?
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 12:59:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
are you de-milling a parts kit?

Yes it is.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 1:02:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you have ever used a Dremel, you know how unsteady they can be. I wouldn't even fire it up near the gun myself.

Why not use a regular drill (variable speed) and just drill them out that way? Would be alot easier and less risky to me.

I would not use it the Dremel for the long rivets.  However, there is only like 4mm of rivet to drill out of the front trunnion after the receiver stub has been pulled and the rest of the rivet ground down to the trunnion.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 1:09:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Use your dremil with  a Fiber glass reinforced cut off wheel.

Go slow when working on the trigger guard.

The rest of it....HIGH Speed
There is no way that you are going to damage a cut reciver stub.

Its already been done.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 1:18:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Use your dremil with  a Fiber glass reinforced cut off wheel.

Go slow when working on the trigger guard.

The rest of it....HIGH Speed
There is no way that you are going to damage a cut reciver stub.

Its already been done.

That is how I ground off the rivet heads, I'm talking about the six rivet shafts that are left inside the front trunnion.  

Thanks though
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 2:39:57 PM EDT
[#7]
forget it
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 5:50:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I ground the heads, then pulled the receiver stub, then ground the rivet almost flush with the trunnion.  After that I gave the rivets a few whacks with a pin punch, and out they came!
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I ground the heads, then pulled the receiver stub, then ground the rivet almost flush with the trunnion.  After that I gave the rivets a few whacks with a pin punch, and out they came!

What he said..I got thrown off track hearing DREMIL....
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 8:36:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top