Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/14/2008 8:55:30 PM EDT
Allright, I've read pretty much all the tacked threads and all the "Complete step by step" instructions I can find on how to build an AK and while I'm somewhat mechanically inclined, I've found myself in way over my head. And since I'm sure this has been answered before, forgive my ignorance.

Basically what I'm asking is this: Is there anyway I can buy a Krink parts kit from K-var or wherever, and then buy a 100% AK74 receiver from Nodak, then send them both to a smith have him build it for me?

I understand that it must be 922r compliant, and have a permanent fake suppressor or bbl extension to make it legal in length, and I can handle that. I know the receiver has to be serial numbered then transfered through an FFL like any other firearm, and I can handle that. I just need someone to demill the parts kit, remove the bbl and rivets, put the triggerguard on and reassemble the thing.

Am I missing anything huge?

If so, who are some good smiths that specialize in this kind of work, somewhere in the south east preferably? Any idea on approximate cost and turnaround time?

Again, I'm sorry if this has all be gone over before, but I'm a huge noob to the AK world and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 4:18:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Troy at InRange is good and Will at Redstick, and Mario at Piece of History Firearms are good too.  Just be prepered to wait a while.......a good while.  Gary at Overland is who did my M-85 for me.  He did a great job, took 5 weeks because he's swamped right now and cost less than most smiths.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 10:45:24 AM EDT
[#2]
What part of Alabama are you in? I have done one or two.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:04:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What part of Alabama are you in? I have done one or two.

Tuscaloosa.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:54:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Find someone local to help you, or search for build parties in your area.  Building an AK is not hard at all.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:52:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm in Hoover. Let me know. I can help if needed.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:27:38 PM EDT
[#6]
If you can't make it to one of his builds, we have build parties nearly every week you could come to.  Of course you may get stopped in a few states on your way over.  
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top