Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/16/2008 3:40:37 PM EDT
Anyone know where I can get a screw kit, to build my Romy G?  Also is there any differences between a screw build & a rivet build?
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 5:08:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Differances.

Screw builds will- Losen over time...Look cheap...Resale...What resale.

Rivets....Commie approved...Will last till the end of time and even when
your barrel is shoot out "sewr Pipe" still be inplace.
No issues if done right...
LOOK AUTHENTIC.

And little Visili will smile....
Link Posted: 4/16/2008 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#2]
i like my screw builds .. i have had no issues if done right they dont back out or loosen .i have seen some rivet jobs with tools that where not made or used right and i will take my screws any day .. resale ? well i build on flats so there is no resale but why would someone want to sell there hard work and time ?  here is a link to a good place at a great price .. you even get the center support

http://milsurpstuff.com/proddetail.asp?prod=AK0686

Link Posted: 4/16/2008 8:28:23 PM EDT
[#3]
As a toolmaker for a powdered metal company we use set screws to hold dies together that go in 300 - 600 ton presses. That compared to the tiny linear force of an AK firing ! some people are silly. I have also seen factory rivet jobs on guns at the gunstore where the rivet spins freely. If done right both will hold steady equally. Done right being the key word (both rivet and screw). To the cosmetic issue, to each their own. If you are ever at a shooting range and someone says to you "OH MY GOD, THAT GUN YOU JUST SHOT 1000 ROUNDS OUT OF FLAWLESSLY HAS SCREWS IN IT, THE SKY IS FALLING, THE SKY IS FALLING", be aware you have just run into a.......gunsnob (or an AK Purist as they like to be called).
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 8:12:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Screw builds will- Losen over time....

If you use Vagisil to hold them in.  I 've done two, 400 rounds through each and counting (since Christmas).  For yuks & giggles I tried wrenching out one of the 10-24 rear trunion screws with an allen wrench- the wrench broke.  I set mine with Thermosteel, vs LT red.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 10:56:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I would say go with rivets because on average they will be less troublesome and more certain to do the job.  Screws if done properly can hold all sorts of things together, but emphasis on properly.  Currently I have part of my rear trunion on my UF held together with screws but that is only because I have not riveted it yet (my tool needs to be modified to reach in far enough).  I used screw builds on the trigger guard and rear trunion several times to function test my rifle before making everything permanent.  The one bad thing about rivets is when doing them the parts can move if not held in place (with screws usually) and it makes each subsequent rivet more difficult.  But in the end it is solid and only beat by a milled or welded receiver (which are both Russian methods for the AK).
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 10:59:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Everyone has a tale to tell about the durabillity of rivets vs. screws and everyone has an expert opinion as to why Kalashnikov used rivets. But when it comes down to it, rivets look right and screws look cheesball. No debate. If your putting money and hard work into a project, do it right.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 4:47:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I am on my first one.  I am using rivits on everything except the triger guard.  For those 5 holes I will use the parts from a screw kit.  That just makes sense.  If I do it worng they are easy enough to tighten.  Just take out the bolt.  I also do not need to get another jig.

Has anyone else done the same?

Link Posted: 4/17/2008 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Some more info for ya.

howtobuildanaktyperifle

Link Posted: 4/17/2008 5:50:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Three of my builds were done the same way; Rivets for everything and screws for the trigger guards. There's a guy on AkFiles that sells the threaded plates that do away with the little nuts. Makes it a lot nicer.
Link Posted: 4/18/2008 4:23:46 AM EDT
[#10]
If all you care about is assembling a working rifle, screws will work fine.
Thread the trunnion and stock block properly and use red Lock Tite.

If you want it to look like it is original, spend the money for the tooling necessary to rivet it.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top