Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/29/2007 5:05:36 PM EDT
i want to build a ak for christmas and im thinking of using screws..is that a god idea or not.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:34:17 PM EDT
[#1]
If its just to shoot sure why not. The resale of the screw firearm is less than a rivoted one. If the tunions are tapped properly and the screws arent stripped off it will be a fine shooter. I have two aks I put together with screws. No problems yet.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:42:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:55:23 PM EDT
[#3]
i want to get a %100 reciever but everytime i go to get 1 they tell me its a problem so thats why i have to go with a flat
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 8:47:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
i want to get a %100 reciever but everytime i go to get 1 they tell me its a problem so thats why i have to go with a flat

Why's it a problem to get a 100% receiver?

There's nothing wrong with a screw build, and as long as you don't over size the holes you can switch it to rivets later if you want.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 8:51:18 PM EDT
[#5]
idk why its like that i always have to wait and the transfer never goes through
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:35:03 AM EDT
[#6]
FYI felons can't get one!!!
Just kidding
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:00:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i want to build a ak for christmas and im thinking of using screws..is that a good idea or not.

It's a bad idea. I figure if you're going to do it, then do it right, the way its supposed to be.

I look down upon screw-built AKs with unmitigated derision. The builder goes through all that trouble to tap and screw when only - ONLY - $200 is required to do it RIGHT.

Press - $110 delivered from HF with the right coupons or sale
Rivet Bolt cutters - $38 delivered from the EE
Trigger guard rivet jig - $75 delivered from AKbuilder.com

Alright, I exagerrated. It's $223 if the builder is an unmotivated butter finger and has to buy his tools. If he is clever like others who make their own tools, the cost is much less.

Flame suit on.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 4:14:28 PM EDT
[#8]
im not a felon..i never been arrested
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 9:32:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

When you are denied transfer of firearm, your FFL should provide you with some form and a NICKS case number. Then you write to NICKS and they will respond in writing why you are denied. You must clear this up if you wish to purchase firearms in the future.
Could be a minor thing, like someone else with the same name.

Maybe someone else will chime in with more info.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 1:31:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Most ffls will do the transfer from a receiver manufacturer. Alot of them would rather sell you an ak though thats why sometimes they give you a hard time. You have to tell them what they are going to do sometime. =o) I have an ak receiver i need transfered here etc. etc. Good luck. I would recomend a receiver but thats a whole nother topic. I have had good luck with ewbanks . My ohio ordinance turned out good. It just needed to be cut shorter to work, but worked.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:19:17 PM EDT
[#11]
i went to the police station to get a backgroung check and everything came back clean so i took it to the store where i was goin to buy my gun and he told me just wait and see what they tell him about the approval. buying a reciever is just like buying a gun right or wrong?
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:26:19 PM EDT
[#12]
right
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:20:20 PM EDT
[#13]
hey, i screwed so many ak kits that my ding dong got sore,,,,lmfao...

only because its what i am more comfortable doing and i have all the tools to do them that way..

if i didnt i would of gone with the original way.

just go slow with the tap use plenty of cutting oil. and DO NOT over use a tap, that will only lead to it breaking off. i broke a few taps off and could`nt get them out for the life of me... those ended up all welded together. anyway all my builds screwed or welded are running strong.......

and dont get caught up in the right way or wrong way bs. do what you feel is better for you. but whatever way you do it,  just take your time and make it a safe-shooter

one day maybe i will rivet one....maybe.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:39:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When you are denied transfer of firearm, your FFL should provide you with some form and a NICKS case number. Then you write to NICKS and they will respond in writing why you are denied. You must clear this up if you wish to purchase firearms in the future.
Could be a minor thing, like someone else with the same name.

Maybe someone else will chime in with more info.

You are right, if the NICs turns you down your FFL should give you paper work to fill out and mail in, and they are required by law to reply within 30 days. And if your FFL is not offering this paperwork then he doesn't care about his cutomers and you should take your business elsewhere.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:22:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I got denied one time through nics.  After my appeal it came back that another guy in my state had the same name and had bench warrants for failing to appear in court to represent his client.  They put his charges under my name since they never checked social security numbers.  I am no lawyer and I guess this schmo was.  So I had to drive across the state 5 hours to get the problem resolved.

As far as building, I say rivet all the way it is the correct and accurate way to build.  Screw builds just make me a little leary and I will never do a screw build.  You can get a 12ton press from northern tool for under $90 otd and it really isnt needed.  I bought one because I had the money and a northern tool locally, it is the same exact press as the hf one.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:15:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Sure is.  This is likely your first build, correct?

I just finished my first build earlier this month (screw build).  It was a Romanian 1981 AK kit...

I don't care about 'resale' value since I'm never gonna sell it!  Every gun that I've built myself - I've got a TREMENDOUS attachment to them.  Parental Pride or something, who knows - but it's nice to know that I've built that AK-47 myself.  And it was MUCH harder than building any of my AR-15s, but it was TOTALLY WORTH IT, and a LOT OF FUN!!!  

There are TONS of people here with good advice!

Here are MY suggestions for a screw-build...

-Don't start until you've got all the tools required.
-Take your time, go slow, and if you're AT ALL uncertain about something ask questions here before doing anything...
-Read ALL the tacked threads for build instructions, but it's the TRICKS learned from other builders before you that will be worth A LOT to help your build.
-For your first build I suggest using a 100% finished Nodak Spud (NDS) receiver.
-There are *LOTS* of ways to build an AK...

Remember, though sometimes it may seem like kind of a pain in the arse, it's really a LOT of FUN!  

I'm building my 2nd one after Christmas (Saw in my online statement for joint checking a charge to DPH Arms - Methinks my wifey got me another AK-47 kit for Christmas ).

Yeah I remember the posts iNuhBaDNayburhood did, you could almost taste the frustration.  But once you get one under your belt you will find new challenges with each and everyone you build.  As for getting a 100% receiver work with NodakSpud and a FFL you know and trust and you should not have any troubles.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:19:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
im not a felon..i never been arrested

Any unpaid parking tickets?  That could escalate enough to be a problem.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top