Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/7/2007 3:20:37 AM EDT
Recently, I've found myself wanting one of these beauties, especially since buying the whole thing is impossible in CA.

But, exactly how difficult would it be to buy one? Gunbroker auctions already have both parts kit and 100% receivers for a Yugo M72 RPK. Is this basically it, all the parts needed to complete it? And is it any different from an AK-47? I know there are a lot of guides out there for AK-47 builds, so can that information also be applied to building an RPK?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 12:29:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't live In Kalifornia so I don't know the laws.

Centerfire Systems has M72 kits for $199.00 and Nodakspud has receivers for $98.00
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#2]
im looking to build one too, but my biggest worry is the quality of the kit, I understand they're battle hardened but I dont want a piece of junk that cant hit a target 50m out. And im also worried about them shipping a milled kit, it says the early orders would get the stamped ones.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Well just buy an expensive one....you can't always hide your wallet.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:47:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Recently, I've found myself wanting one of these beauties, especially since buying the whole thing is impossible in CA.

But, exactly how difficult would it be to buy one? Gunbroker auctions already have both parts kit and 100% receivers for a Yugo M72 RPK. Is this basically it, all the parts needed to complete it? And is it any different from an AK-47? I know there are a lot of guides out there for AK-47 builds, so can that information also be applied to building an RPK?

If you can't buy one, how can you build one?
I thought all AKs were banned in Comifornia
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:14:30 AM EDT
[#5]
he can build one it just has to have the mag perm attached
and it cant have a pistol grip

the reason you cant buy one is no one wants to make that crappy of a rifle
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I just got one of these kits and its great! Its a stamped kit, not milled,  made in 1982, all matching numbers including  bolt, carrier, front trunion, top cover and butt stock, which also has a carving on it that looks like a bowling pin with stripes and a bunch of Beverly Hills 90210 stickers as well. The carrier has some dark spotting, but doesnt feel pitted at all. I havent cleaned the barrel yet, but I can clearly see lands and sharp grooves. It passed the bullet test with flying colors as well. Also has the Zastava- Blah Blah Yugoslavia on the sight base (its hard to see in the pic, but looks good in reality).  Im really happy as I was expecting a possible crappy kit.

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:58:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Got mine....good condition as well.....how do you get the aftermarket bipod on ? Its the exact same, do I have to remove the front sight base???????
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:31:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Are you guys ordering yours from Centerfire, the 199.99 ones? I just placed an order for mine. Interesting pics though...but why would an RPK have those stickers there? Strange...
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 12:51:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Are you guys ordering yours from Centerfire, the 199.99 ones? I just placed an order for mine. Interesting pics though...but why would an RPK have those stickers there? Strange...

I got those same stickers on mags from the old SG mag deal.  Ninja turtles and Beverly Hills 90210 must be really popular over in that part of the world.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 1:16:26 AM EDT
[#10]
If you can build one for under $500.00 then good deal. I bought my M72 RPK a year ago as a complete gun. I have been very happy with it. What I learned in my shopping is this, some of the kits (and you don't know what you will get) have poor barrels. What you see is what you get. I was fortunate to have a dealer that only built RPK's with high quality barrels and receivers. By the way what are RPK's going for today?.....
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:22:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Yep..its a CF $199 special. Ive seen other Yugo AK kits that also have the Beverly Hills 90210 stickers on them. Its usually the ladies of 90210 stickers, which mine has on the other side of the stock, but it also has the dudes. From what I have found online, 90210 was "seen by an estimated 200 million people around the world and ranks as one of the most watched American television shows internationally" but I have no idea why these stickers are often found on AKs.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:53:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Interesting, 90210 aired during the 90's. So I guess some kid during the Serbia/Croatia war must've used that before. Quite a bit of history there...with all the poor quality of the barrels, it must've actually been used in battle rather often.

Anyway, I ordered mine too, order was processed really quick and will be here on Friday. UPS shows that the package weighs 13 pounds, is that normal?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:25:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Mine was 15.0lbs w/ five East German Mag pouches.  Hope mine is not milled...
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:14:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Most of the Yugo AKs do have some history. They were well used and been through some really bad stuff. They were used to fight a war that claimed around 12,000 deaths, including mass graves and all sorts of atrocities. All of this in the early to late 1990's. Many of the AKs we are rebuilding now have been used to take people's lives. In fact most of the surplus guns out there were also used in a similar fashion. A lot of those  Russian and German WW2 guns have killed many people.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:36:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok just got my kit today and I must say I was nervous. However, upon opening I was pleasantly surprised to find an all matching stamped 1986 kit down to the dust cover and wooden butstock. The blueing is around 90 percent. Rifling is strong and passes the bullet test w/ flying colors. Only small complaints are a little bloodstaining on the dustcover and slight pitting in a frosted barrel. But the rifling is there and that's all that really matters. I am quite happy and will post pics sometime tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:43:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Good to hear. Got any pics, and did yours come with anything odd on the stock?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:58:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Ok just got my kit today and I must say I was nervous. However, upon opening I was pleasantly surprised to find an all matching stamped 1986 kit down to the dust cover and wooden butstock. The blueing is around 90 percent. Rifling is strong and passes the bullet test w/ flying colors. Only small complaints are a little bloodstaining on the dustcover and slight pitting in a frosted barrel. But the rifling is there and that's all that really matters. I am quite happy and will post pics sometime tomorrow.

When did you order yours? I got my fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:07:19 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Most of the Yugo AKs do have some history. They were well used and been through some really bad stuff. They were used to fight a war that claimed around 12,000 deaths, including mass graves and all sorts of atrocities. All of this in the early to late 1990's. Many of the AKs we are rebuilding now have been used to take people's lives. In fact most of the surplus guns out there were also used in a similar fashion. A lot of those  Russian and German WW2 guns have killed many people.

From there they probably went to some shit hole in Africa where they were carried by 10yr olds and used to slaughter the opposing tribe of the day.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:45:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Here it is.  Three very lightly carved names on the buttstock and lower handguard?
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 12:02:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Nice. Did you have to clean up yours for a while, or did it come looking like that?
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 12:40:04 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Nice. Did you have to clean up yours for a while, or did it come looking like that?

As w/ every Yugo parts kit I have ever seen, smothered in Cosmo.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 7:29:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Nice kit. Unfortunatly the bipod lug had been cut off on my kit, leaving just the ring part around the barrel. I had to press off the FSB, so I could install the new bi-pod. As you still have the bi-pod lug on there, minus the legs, perhaps you could just install the legs and springs to the existing lug, instead of removing the FSB? Here is mine with the new bipod installed. The metal bits above the barrel are the remains of the original bi-pod ring. I had to cut it off to get better leverage when using the 12 ton press.

Link Posted: 10/12/2007 1:22:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, yours is in a lot better condition than mine. It just came today, box had a nasty gash on it, probably from UPS's throwing the thing around. Came with a cleaning kit and a catalog, but all the parts were stuck together in one plastic bag, with the metal bits scratching the stock.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i318/dreamweb77/PDC_0004.jpg

...and here are the parts themselves. hinking.gif

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i318/dreamweb77/PDC_0007.jpg

...think it's salvageable, guys?

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i318/dreamweb77/PDC_0010.jpg
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 2:18:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Where can you get these kits?  Copesdist.com no longer has the Romanians like they did before and I'm looking for a change.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 3:11:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Centerfire Systems Inc.

Better hurry, they're selling fast. I'll probably order another one in the hopes of getting a better kit, and just use this as a display. Or maybe install a gearbox inside it make it into an airsoft RPK.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Mine came packed the same way w/ a hole in the top where the cardboard was soaked as well...  looked like UPS dude dropped it into a puddle or something.  Your kit really does not look that bad to me at all.  I can't see the bore.  Does it pass the bullet test?  Your buttstock looks damn near as perfect as you could expect.  I noticed you have no numbers on it though...  Did you blur them out by chance?

I would not hold my breath at getting a much better looking kit maybe a better bore.  They were in a brutal conflict...
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:03:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Your kit looks fine. Mine was packed just the same...everything in one bag. My box was in better shape, but who cares as long as its all in there. Im thinking about ordering another kit, but im going on vacation next week and dont have a lot of extra bucks to spend on AK kits.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top