Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2020 3:54:54 AM EDT
I am presently building my stripped lower receiver, some of the information I have read recommended using some form of grease for the buffer spring, detents, rolling pins. I am reading some information people have experienced rust with tetra grease and considering many of the springs are covered by the detents and already assembled my lower, any risk of the holes rusting? Should I just spray some CLP and clean off the excess? I used a very light finger applied coat for my spriny where selector switch is, the trigger assembly spring for the fcg, the pivot pin/spring, magazine release spring, and the bolt catch detent.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 10:47:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Never used Tetra.

Any quality EP Moly is sufficient.  Your lower is aluminum, so no rust issues there and anodizing is an added wear protector.

If you want to clean off the parts, use a non chlorinated brake cleaner.
Link Posted: 12/5/2020 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm a big tetra grease fan and have been using it for the last 5 years. Never had any issues as far as rusting or anything of the sort.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 12:16:42 PM EDT
[#3]
No grease. RTFM.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 12:26:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Been using Tetra gun grease for years with no problems.

I seen some posts about Tetra and rust awhile ago. It was only a couple posts I found and I believe it was a result of user error. Either the surface wasn't dry, it was contaminated with corrosives, or simply they didn't knead the Tetra gun grease and it was separated. Tetra gun grease is really good stuff and 95% of reviews show that.
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 5:46:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Been using Tetra gun grease for years with no problems.

I seen some posts about Tetra and rust awhile ago. It was only a couple posts I found and I believe it was a result of user error. Either the surface wasn't dry, it was contaminated with corrosives, or simply they didn't knead the Tetra gun grease and it was separated. Tetra gun grease is really good stuff and 95% of reviews show that.
View Quote

Been using it for a few years too, the kneading thing is a minor PITA to me, but not a deal breaker.

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top