Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/27/2020 5:10:17 PM EDT
So simple and don't have to worry about bulky rods you have to assemble into one cleaning rod. The mil-spec contraption is the worst one that does more damage than good.
and you can carry it with you, it should fit in the grip.

Anyone carries a bore snake in the grip? with some CLP?
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 5:30:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Use them on my subgauge tubes for my skeet gun all the time.  I have used on on my ar and they are convenient.  I've read it's a good idea to tie a length of cord to them behind the brush in case it breaks. They are difficult to remove if they break off inside the bbl.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 5:35:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:They are difficult to remove if they break off inside the bbl.
View Quote

That's what old cleaning rods are good for!
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I wonder if they should be replaced every x number of years.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 5:54:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That's what old cleaning rods are good for!
View Quote

Surely you jest.

You can always pull it out in the opposite direction if it breaks off on one side, unless the entire other side is inside the barrel.

My 22 cal is very tight.  I tried a 34 cal in a 30 and it wasn't as tight as the 22 cal bore snake.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#5]
They don’t remove copper or bad carbon so they aren’t a replacement for a proper cleaning.

Quoted:

Surely you jest.

You can always pull it out in the opposite direction if it breaks off on one side, unless the entire other side is inside the barrel.

My 22 cal is very tight.  I tried a 34 cal in a 30 and it wasn't as tight as the 22 cal bore snake.
View Quote

You’ve obviously never dealt with a stuck snake they can be a bitch to get out. None of my 22 snakes were tight.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 6:03:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You can always pull it out in the opposite direction if it breaks off on one side<
View Quote

Think again.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 6:34:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Do a search for “stuck bore snake”.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 6:50:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 7:02:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They don’t remove copper or bad carbon so they aren’t a replacement for a proper cleaning.

You’ve obviously never dealt with a stuck snake they can be a bitch to get out. None of my 22 snakes were tight.
View Quote

Hm, I don't doubt a stuck snake can and does happen. Not at all surprising. What I doubt is the proposition it can be pushed out with a rod. From what I understood, a stuck bore snake is a major surgery kind of thing.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 7:06:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Getting ready to change into someone more comfortable. Name changes coming.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 7:20:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I use them for "quick" cleans but for deep cleans I go old school.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 7:20:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Always thought dragging the same dirty rag over and over through the bore was a good way to clean it. Really gets that chamber clean to even though it is sized for the bore. I don't have one for every size so I just use the same patches over and over again to really get that bore clean.
View Quote

You know you can clean them right?
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 7:26:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I did, I get what substantiates my belief:

Stuck boresnake pulled out in reverse
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Getting ready to change into someone more comfortable. Name changes coming.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 8:00:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I wash my bore snake once or twice a year.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 8:15:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Usually the bristles cannot be reversed.

Just don't be the guy that breaks both ends and attempts to burn it out.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 8:32:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I got the secret solution for a stuck bore snake. I will shoot it out. /joke

Link Posted: 10/27/2020 9:24:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I have bamboo dowel rods and brass dowel rods in case I get some shit stuff in my bore. Both work just fine depending in what is stuck.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 6:27:18 AM EDT
[#19]
I use snakes as a convenience item on all my guns.

In pistol length barrels, they can easily be ran back and forth real quick. Just get the bristles out one and end reverse, then pull through all the way. Sparkly.

They don't replace a proper rod for clearing obstructions, copper solvent, corrosive ammo, heavily neglected/rusted bores, etc. Nor do they work well (if at all) to clean the chamber of a typical bottleneck cartridge.

They're best used after you shoot a box to zero a hunting rifle, or take a couple shots hunting. Or when you shoot a speed match and superb accuracy is not a concern. Also, when you get back to the truck after being caught in the rain.

I have found that a pass of a bore snake is not disruptive enough to measurably shift zero at 200yds.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 9:55:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Depending on how worn the bristles are, usually you can’t pull in reverse.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:07:11 AM EDT
[#21]
My sons scout troop had the kids pull a bore snake through a bolt gun to get a gun cleaning batch.

I had already taught my son how to strip and clean an AR with a rod. I have a snake in range bag but never use it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2020 10:26:29 AM EDT
[#22]
If it gets stuck mid bbl just light off a round to blow it out.  /s
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 11:23:10 PM EDT
[#23]
I was thrilled the first time I used one.  Then I went back with an actual jag and patch to check....It did nothing.  I suppose it's fine for a quickie field clean but I wouldn't substitute for a good scrub and patch.
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 9:06:00 AM EDT
[#24]
I've been a big fan of bore snakes for quick cleanings!
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 9:27:38 AM EDT
[#25]
I freaking love bore snakes
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 10:00:56 AM EDT
[#26]
If the snake gets stuck just have your mom suck it out the end.
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 10:32:29 AM EDT
[#27]
I started with Boresnakes but I now prefer Otis rip cords.
They have a rubber core and seem to clean better and you can thread a T-handle or brush on either end.
They also hold up better. I don’t feel like they’ll come apart in the barrel.
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 10:36:32 AM EDT
[#28]
I like to soak boresnakes in a good non-toxic solvent, tie it off overhead and work the upper like a shakeweight over the bucket of solvent.
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 2:18:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I like to soak boresnakes in a good non-toxic solvent, tie it off overhead and work the upper like a shakeweight over the bucket of solvent.
View Quote

Like back and forth through the barrel?
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 5:01:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Interesting.
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 1:26:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Ripcords won't break like a Bore Snake and does the same thing...just better.
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 9:07:17 AM EDT
[#32]
i only use patches on flexible otis cables and boresnakes now.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 8:35:24 AM EDT
[#33]
I prefer the Otis rip-cord. I do not WANT to clean my bore "down to bare metal". Copper fouling is the mortar that holds the brick together in older bores.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 12:37:11 PM EDT
[#34]
I've been using bore snakes for years. Most of the stuck ones were 22 pistol snakes used in rifles. Unless you have a 26 inch barrel, there's no possible way for this to happen. The bristles can be pulled the opposite direction just fine.

I put 2K through a 1.5 MOA gun. It shot the same on the last round as it did the first. When I did eventually patch it, I was surprised at how little came out.

With a couple passes and a little bit of bore solvent applied to the snake, they work ridiculously well. People who use them wrong or are stuck in their old ways have all sorts of opinions, but as someone who used to be one of those guys, I have to say there's no logical reason to look down upon bore snakes.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 11:39:20 AM EDT
[#35]
I tried Otis ripcord, it does seem a bit more solid and less likely to come apart, or so it seems.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#36]
I use Otis Ripcords. I tried using a jag in my 5.56 one time... That was enough.

I have seven separate Ripcords and so I don't have to reuse them, which is the complaint most people raise with them. I wash them after each use.

On the first pass, I attach a cotton bore mop with some Bore Tech Eliminator on it, then wait a few minutes, then follow up with a few other Ripcords. It works.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 10:02:21 PM EDT
[#37]
I also use the Otis cords, brass and plastic coated wire cord. Seems really soild and have been using it for years. Its nice that you can swap from a bore brush to a patch as well.
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:09:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I use Otis Ripcords. I tried using a jag in my 5.56 one time... That was enough.

I have seven separate Ripcords and so I don't have to reuse them, which is the complaint most people raise with them. I wash them after each use.

On the first pass, I attach a cotton bore mop with some Bore Tech Eliminator on it, then wait a few minutes, then follow up with a few other Ripcords. It works.
View Quote

What method do you use to wash the Ripcords?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:27:09 PM EDT
[#39]
My first unit issued them back in 2009. have only used bore snakes since.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:18:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What method do you use to wash the Ripcords?
View Quote
Sorry, I didn't see your message until now.

I bought a couple mesh laundry bags on Amazon and I just put the dirty Ripcords inside it, along with the bore mops. I add a couple laundry detergent pods to the washer. Then I wash them in hot water and listen to my wife complain about all the banging noise coming from the washer.

Then I air dry them, or let them sit in the sun for awhile. It's probably a good idea to run the washer with nothing in it at that point, just to make sure all the filth and chemicals are cleaned out of it, but honestly, I don't bother.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:58:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some lessons are best learned the hard way. Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:05:01 PM EDT
[#42]
i usually squirt some cleaner down the barrel, let it soak, run the bore snake down a few times, then follow up with a rod/patches to get what is left. When patches come out almost clean; done deal. Then if i m going to be storing the rifle for a while i take one final patch and hit hte patch with some oil and run it through the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 2:01:17 PM EDT
[#43]
You clean your barrel?  Short of excessive leading or copper buildup it's not necessary.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 8:49:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You clean your barrel?  Short of excessive leading or copper buildup it's not necessary.
View Quote

I've found (the hard way ) that I have to clean my 308 barrel every trip this winter. It doesn't get hot enough to cook off the water vapor that condenses, but I guess it gets hot enough to cook off the oil inside...

Just a couple patches or pull of the snake (giggity) to mop up the water and throw some oil down is enough.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 10:32:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I've found (the hard way ) that I have to clean my 308 barrel every trip this winter. It doesn't get hot enough to cook off the water vapor that condenses, but I guess it gets hot enough to cook off the oil inside...

Just a couple patches or pull of the snake (giggity) to mop up the water and throw some oil down is enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you leaving the oil in the barrel when you shoot it? Outside of storage that bore should be clean and dry.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top