Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/23/2020 11:39:21 PM EDT
Hi guys, so I know it is normal for a muzzle brake to erode over time. I have cleaned mine the best I can on my Saint Victor 556 and have come to the conclusion that even though it only has about 900 shots through it, mine is begining to show the signs of erosion. So far it is not effecting accuracy but my worry is if you look along the inside diameter of where the bullet passes, the edge is starting to show deformation which I am worried will erode accuracy over time. I am new to ar15 ownership so I don't know if this is misguided or not. Can you guys let me know what you think? Should I take a dremel too it to smooth it out or will that cause more harm then good. I have friends far more experienced that could help me not muck it up if that is an advice able route to go

Here are some pics

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 12:26:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Pretty normal. Especially for short barrels and 223. It'll fire etch just about anything. Including inconel and stellite eventually.

Leave it alone. It'll take tens of thousands more rounds.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 10:47:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Is it a precision rifle? Being a factory rack gun, I doubt it.

Wipe it off with some CLP and go shoot. You'll never know the difference until the barrel is toasted.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 8:55:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 2:48:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Wonder what the muzzle device is made of.
Shouldn’t be eroding that quickly mounted on a mid length gas 16” barrel
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 9:52:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Normal. My Surefire brake looks similar.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 1:36:24 AM EDT
[#6]
This is the reason to never waste money on any El-Cheapo aluminum brake.

They burn out after a couple of mags.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 3:07:10 AM EDT
[#7]
thats build up not erosion.

Link Posted: 9/28/2020 5:15:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
thats build up not erosion.

View Quote

Exactly. Made same comments over on his reddit post. Needs to clean all the crap off to see if there is any erosion.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 9:14:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Exactly. Made same comments over on his reddit post. Needs to clean all the crap off to see if there is any erosion.
View Quote

You're not wrong, but IMO wasted effort. I'd just go shoot.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 9:19:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You're not wrong, but IMO wasted effort. I'd just go shoot.
View Quote

Yeah I get that as well. Unfortunately the ocd rifle cleaning has been pushed into my make up for 10 years in the army and no matter how much I try, I can't get rid of it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 11:01:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yeah I get that as well. Unfortunately the ocd rifle cleaning has been pushed into my make up for 10 years in the army and no matter how much I try, I can't get rid of it.
View Quote

I know what you mean brother. Just let it roll. Don't over think it
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top