Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/18/2020 1:51:03 PM EDT
I have used a sonic cleaner on my bcgs for a while now.  I usually use a 50/50 mix of Slip2000 and water for my cleaning solution.  It works great, but I think I may have take off some of the finish of one of my NiB bcgs.

It’s lost it’s shine but still remains sliver in color.  

I’ve read a number of posts that state NiB carriers are safe for sonic cleaners and I have read that they are not.

The last time I cleaned it I used water and white vinegar.  The process didn’t do any more “damage” to the same BCG, but I’m just wondering what solution some of you guys use on your NiB carriers and bolts in sonic cleaners.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I just use Hornady's gun parts cleaning solution.

I've never had a problem with any of my BCG finishes, NiB or otherwise.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 4:35:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Never tried vinegar and water, but vinegar will turn metal darker and remove finishes.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 5:11:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have used a sonic cleaner on my bcgs for a while now.  I usually use a 50/50 mix of Slip2000 and water for my cleaning solution.  It works great, but I think I may have take off some of the finish of one of my NiB bcgs.

I’ve read a number of posts that state NiB carriers are safe for sonic cleaners and I have read that they are not.

The last time I cleaned it I used water and white vinegar.  The process didn’t do any more “damage” to the same BCG, but I’m just wondering what solution some of you guys use on your NiB carriers and bolts in sonic cleaners.
View Quote

It shouldn't hurt NiB, but whatever you do, don't use vinegar and water to clean phosphate BCGs; it'll strip off the phosphating in fairly short order.

Personally, I use Simple Green Extreme Aircraft with water. Safe on just about any firearm finish and works great.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 5:17:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just use Hornady's gun parts cleaning solution.

I've never had a problem with any of my BCG finishes, NiB or otherwise.
View Quote

Same.  I did however have a problem with Simple Green. It doesn't like charging handles.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 8:52:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I clean phosphate, nitride and NiB-X all with ultrasound cleaning.  Works great.  I use a cap full of Hornady's Sonic Clean for Firearms Parts.  One jug will last many years.  They have a separate version for brass shell cases for those of us who reload.  Use the one for firearm parts for steel and plated or treated steel surfaces. It works better.  Also, it helps to use hot, or at least warm water in the cleaning solution.  Even if your tank has a heater, it cleans quicker if you start with warm water.

I would not use an acid (vinegar) on any BCG.  Honestly, my nitride and NiB-X bcgs pretty much just wipe off.  Rarely do they get an ultrasound bath.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top