Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/15/2020 7:33:16 AM EDT
After cleaning any of my AR's, when I cycle the bolt carrier group, there is always the smell of stale carbon for a few seconds.

Where is that coming from?  What am I missing?
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 7:37:19 AM EDT
[#1]
A drill Sargent screaming at you and telling you it's still dirty and to get your lazy ass back and to really clean it?

Or, in civilian life, realizing WGAF and it means absolutely nothing? Enough Hoppes #9 will kill that icky carbon smell.

There are a lot of nook and crannies [and a gas tube] where odors can cling to. In the real world, it means nothing.

I still remember having to clean the inside of the gas tube with long ''Q tips'' in basic. Number of times I've cleaned mine once out, ZERO.

Link Posted: 9/15/2020 8:10:55 PM EDT
[#2]
This'll fix it....best smell ever.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 8:52:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
After cleaning any of my AR's, when I cycle the bolt carrier group, there is always the smell of stale carbon for a few seconds.

Where is that coming from?  What am I missing?
View Quote

Gas tube
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 4:25:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't worry about it. Go shoot.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 11:21:41 AM EDT
[#5]
OP that's the smell of freedom brother.  I love the smell of burnt gunpowder and CLP.  It takes me back to my younger years of being in the .mil.  To answer your question if you have thoroughly cleaned with a good CLP your barrel, BCG and wiped out the guts of your lower you really shouldn't smell anything.  I can smell it after I fire my rifle(s) however, after I have cleaned them I no longer smell it.  Edited to add content.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 1:13:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Gas tube
View Quote

^^^^
Flood that bitch. Hit it with compressed air.
Link Posted: 9/22/2020 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Bodily fluids leaking from your target smell worse.
Keep advancing......
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 9:25:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I located the source.  The hole where the gas tube enters the upper receiver.  It is in there someplace.  

Any way to get into those little slots around the gas tube to clean them out?
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 11:13:13 AM EDT
[#9]
why?
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 1:41:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Hose it with brake cleaner? Though it doesn't really do anything to get caked on carbon off.

But, what I really think you're smelling is the fumes from the anodizing burnishing against anodizing from the charging handle rubbing in it's slot in the upper... I notice that on my ARs whenever I pull back the charging handle.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 7:25:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Shoot more.
Sniff less.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 7:33:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 9:04:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

@clancey2651

Welp.... I just stumbled upon this.... There is a gizmo for the little slots around the gas tube.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1017302046?pid=732007

https://otistec.com/content/Vent%20Hole%20Scraper%20Tool.pdf

View Quote

Damn, another I thought I had seen everything
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 11:58:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 5:25:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Some good answers here.

If you have a super nasty rifle, hit it with carbon solvent and brush everything you can, then wipe out what you can. Take some brake cleaner (compressed acetone) and WEAR YOUR DAMN EYEPRO, spray that whole thing out. It may eat some rubber, so keep it away from your optics and furniture.

Works especially well for getting the fouled oil out of the BE/locking lugs.

Shouldn't be anything left, so youll need to get fresh oil all over. Particularly the barrel exterior.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 5:33:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I located the source.  The hole where the gas tube enters the upper receiver.  It is in there someplace.  

Any way to get into those little slots around the gas tube to clean them out?
View Quote

Quit wasting effort and obsessing over nothing and go shoot it again.  It sounds like you have about 1 mag through it so far.
Link Posted: 10/1/2020 7:10:35 AM EDT
[#17]
OP, are you a drill Sargent or weapons room armorer?

Seriously, it's a firearm, they smell of oil, cleaning solvent, and powder residue. It's the smell of freedom.

I'm going to bet you are smelling residue that is in the slip ring spring area and you just aren't going to get it all out unless you put the upper in a solvent bath, preferably one that is ultrasonic.
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 12:08:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I just toss the BCG in the ultrasonic and use a 16" pipe cleaner on the tube. Another reason I like piston guns.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 8:29:43 AM EDT
[#19]
I love gadgets.  I am going to get one of these from Otis.  

They make some good stuff, and I am a gadget addict, so this will take care of that particular jones.

If it actually works, even better.  I will let you all know how it works.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 12:17:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Would rather put the money towards ammo, or cleaning patches.....
Besides, when gun goes Boom, the port door is open shortly afterwards.
Passes way more gas.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top