Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/19/2020 5:39:56 PM EDT
Thinking ahead for long term storage....vacuum sealing an assembled AR or if I can't find bags big enough, taken down.

My thought would be to clean, spray down with some CLP and vacuum them up.  

Just curious?

Bronc
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 5:55:01 PM EDT
[#1]
If you find bags large enough, you could throw in a packet of oxygen absorber (like they do to preserve foods) and even a VCI pack as well.  Should take care of about anything.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 5:56:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting idea.

Maybe even purge with nitrogen.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 6:06:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Coat well with lubricant and add a desiccant pack.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 6:14:37 PM EDT
[#4]
If you get the roll, you can make them as large as you want.  They also sell the large mylar type bags that you can put them in too.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 6:20:28 PM EDT
[#5]
We seal-a-meal tons of stuff. I buy the bags in a roll and you can cut them to any length. Sounds like a good idea to me. I'd put in Oxygen absorbers and silica packs, oil it up and double seal each end. I'd then put it in ANOTHER bag and seal it twice on each end. Bullet proof. Put a bunch of mags and ammo along with a LPK and store away.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 6:35:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I vac sealed a P320 with two mags once.

It took a couple tries of repositioning the gun to get it right. If certain parts of the gun were too close to the edges, it would compromise the seal. But in the end, I won.

An AR15 would be far more challenging, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 6:42:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I would think that CLP would contribute to advanced degradation of the vacuum bag and its seal.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 7:45:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Brownell's sell bags with the VCI vapor barrier that are vacuum sealed.....

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/shop-accessories-supplies/gun-storage-materials/gun-storage-bags/vacuum-seal-storage-bags-prod42749.aspx

One caution on using standard plastic bags.....  The standard plastic will pass moisture and allow the VCI vapor to escape.
You need to use a special "hard" plastic similar to the plastic bags used to ship electronic components that won't pass moisture or the vapor.

Also, standard plastic bag material actually contains a percentage of water.
I was surprised at this after a friend who works in a major plastic bag factory told me that part of the manufacturing process is to dry the excess moisture out of the film.
He said that normal plastic bags and sealer films all contain water when finished.

Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:08:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes. But for the best protection while storing.... vacuum seal them in VCI bags.

I've done that to several firearms for a decade or more. Don't even have to worry about spraying them down or worrying about corrosion. No oil even required and actually better that way.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 8:45:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I vac sealed a P320 with two mags once.

It took a couple tries of repositioning the gun to get it right. If certain parts of the gun were too close to the edges, it would compromise the seal. But in the end, I won.

https://i.imgur.com/G1MObdf.jpg

An AR15 would be far more challenging, I'm sure.
View Quote

lol! This is amazing, but what the hell is the point in sealing them?
Are you going to bury them or sink them in your pond for safe keeping?
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 1:51:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would think that CLP would contribute to advanced degradation of the vacuum bag and its seal.
View Quote

All great ideas and I did think of this, but I use Safari Charlies as a preservative.  It is a local manufacturer of what I call a "CLP", supposedly enviro-friendly and it has a great smell, not that smell has anything to do with its effectiveness.   I spray it in zip-lock bags of parts and have not observed any plastic breakdown after many months.

I am going to get myself a Foodsaver soon.

Link Posted: 7/20/2020 10:44:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

So they don't get rusty when I sleep in the creek.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 4:58:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

In my line of work (actually old line, I am retired 4 months now), we vacuum sealed all of our major refinery machinery parts for LTS (long term storage), or at least tried to, depending on the geometry.  We had threaded fasteners, 5/8" x 6" that were $1000-$5000 in value and some machinery would take 100's of them.  These were vacuum sealed to be ready for use.  

So I was thinking the same thing for my firearms, especially those that are not used much and who the hell knows what the political landscape looks like down the road.

Being retired has given me time to think about a lot of crap these days
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 7:00:07 AM EDT
[#16]
OK-now a related secondary question---

If one seals up a shower rifle does the cookie go inside with the rifle or does it go in it's own bag?
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 7:42:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Whats the story behind the shower guns?
View Quote

My guess is somebody wanted to have guns in the shower without them getting wet?
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 9:39:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thats how I clean my guns
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 10:12:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thats how I clean my guns
View Quote

When I used to get back from the field & my M16 was covered in a bunch of crud & crap just like I was, I'd pull the BCG/CH & walk into the shower with it & rinse all the grime & gunk off.  1st time I did it everyone said I'd get an article 15 & it was going to rust to hell.  After I got out of the shower, I'd hose it down with WD-40 to displace all the water, which is what it actually is & what the "WD" stands for.  Then I'd clean & lube like normal.  After people seeing how I did it, got it so clean pretty fast & didn't get in trouble, a bunch of guys started doing it that way.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 10:19:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I keep 7 different sizes of 6 mil LDPE Lay-Flat Tubing on a bar above my work bench.  Using a 10' or 15' sealer to seal up both ends after putting ammo/rifle inside, I cut the corner and insert a vacuum hose to pull a vacuum.  With the vacuum pump running, seal the corner.  Sometimes I use O2 adsorbers if long term storage is expected.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 10:31:59 PM EDT
[#21]
You can use the roll bags and make a bag as long as you need.
Double bag it.  One can develop leaks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 1:18:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Its so you don't get clapped while washing your balls or taking a shit because of home invaders. You can vacuum seal a pistol and drop it in the toilet tank also for another backup.
Link Posted: 7/22/2020 1:43:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Newb alert!

Buy a membership.
Go back into the archives around...2006-2008.

Try "shower cookie" to get you started.

Link Posted: 7/23/2020 3:58:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Newb alert!

Buy a membership.
Go back into the archives around...2006-2008.

Try "shower cookie" to get you started.

https://img.memecdn.com/I-was-eating-a-cookie-in-the-shower-when-I-heard-a-noise_o_74983.jpg
View Quote

lol

@Desert_AIP I understand the purpose, I guess I should have asked how are they able to be used while being vacuum sealed. Can you still pull the trigger reliably? Is there a shower knife to open bag?
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 11:25:15 AM EDT
[#25]
That thread made me laugh so hard. Easily one of the funnier threads in our history.
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 2:35:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Biden has promised that one of his first actions will be to require everyone buy a tax stamp for each AR they already own, or surrender it. So I suspect there will be a lot of buried treasure before the election...
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Biden has promised that one of his first actions will be to require everyone buy a tax stamp for each AR they already own, or surrender it. So I suspect there will be a lot of buried treasure before the election...
View Quote

I have a sneaky feeling there will be a lot of false walls being built down the road
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 4:23:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Reposted below
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 3:14:59 PM EDT
[#29]
I stored a few new Uzi MGs vacuum sealed in food saver bags for years. Sprayed first with Zep IronClad metal preservative then bagged and vacuumed. Just like brand new 12 years later.

If you have a gun with sharp protrusions, use a piece of small bubblewrap or a few layers of plastic food wrap around that area to prevent puncture of the vacuum bag.

The large food saver bag rolls will fit an AR if you take off the pistol grip and just place it in with the rest of the gun. If your pistol grip has an allen bolt, it might be advisable to exchange it for a regular straight slot screw, then you can include a cheap flathead screwdriver too so you have what you need to assemble it if recovering it from some remote stash and under duress.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 7:52:45 AM EDT
[#30]
I did this about five years ago.
Had to leave guns for about 1.5 years.
Had a friend that would let me store the safe, but didn’t want any responsibility for lubing and such

I placed ARs in silicone impregnated “gun socks” then vacuum packed them, TWICE.
I used the large gallon size rolls from Food Saver rolls. Grips stated on, but optics had to be removed.
I was able to check on them about ten months in, gags stayed sealed.

No issues when opening them almost a year and a half later. No corrosion on blued 1911s either
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 7:50:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

^ This. Might be better off with a light wax like renaissance.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 7:56:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Its when you are your most vulnerable other than asleep.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#34]
It will not work long term. No matter what, too many sharp edges pushing against the vacuum seal
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 8:11:01 PM EDT
[#35]
They should have vending machines with firearms and ammo sealed like that.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 9:53:49 PM EDT
[#36]
I have, and some others a few years ago have as well.

They sell rifle-sized aluminum/mylar foil bags, like the stuff MREs are wrapped in.

Clean thoroghly. Do not lube. Trust me on this. You want it bone dry. If you don't you wind up with a sticky film that makes cosmoline look easy to clean.

Once you have that done, wrap the gun in VpCI (vapor phase corrosion inhibitor) paper. It's like craft paper but specifically treated to create a anti-corrision environment. Then put the wrapped AR in the mylar bag with a largish silca gel packet (outside the paper.)

Vacuum but don't overdo it or the edges may break the bag (the VpCI paper helps with this too.) The of course seal.

I did this and broke the seal 10 years later, everything was like new but the optic had what I assume was some VpCI haze on the glass.

Store batteries separate packaging. Only store lithium or NiMH.

Link Posted: 12/22/2020 10:05:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
They should have vending machines with firearms and ammo sealed like that.
View Quote

Wonderfully horrible idea.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 10:54:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have, and some others a few years ago have as well.

They sell rifle-sized aluminum/mylar foil bags, like the stuff MREs are wrapped in.

Clean thoroghly. Do not lube. Trust me on this. You want it bone dry. If you don't you wind up with a sticky film that makes cosmoline look easy to clean.

Once you have that done, wrap the gun in VpCI (vapor phase corrosion inhibitor) paper. It's like craft paper but specifically treated to create a anti-corrision environment. Then put the wrapped AR in the mylar bag with a largish silca gel packet (outside the paper.)

Vacuum but don't overdo it or the edges may break the bag (the VpCI paper helps with this too.) The of course seal.

I did this and broke the seal 10 years later, everything was like new but the optic had what I assume was some VpCI haze on the glass.

Store batteries separate packaging. Only store lithium or NiMH.

View Quote

Even with a light spray of a CLP....I use a product called Safari Charlie, a local made CLP that I have found to be less oily....it smells real good also

I am going to move in the direction to do some sealing and storing soon....My spare parts plan is spare "assembled" parts....

Will not have optics nor BUIS installed
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 11:16:44 PM EDT
[#39]
VCI Poly Bags are what you seek. At this vendor and elsewhere.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Wilson Combat sells pistol bags that are made to store your gun in, I've used them for mine for years now and no adverse problems or effect, they are Zip lock style.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top