Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2020 4:32:33 PM EDT
I broke yet another extractor. I’m running a short barrel on a RR auto lower so I expect to break many more. I’d like to find a place to get a semi inexpensive replacement. The last ones I bought were supposed to be super strength but it broke just as fast as the one that came with the bolt. I’m on my last one. This time I’m going for the cheapest I can find. Any recommendations where to get them? Quantity discounts are preferred.
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 5:12:50 PM EDT
[#1]
A guy in this thread runs 5.56 extractors...maybe worth a shot, esp. if you're using the gun for range purposes.

Might want to talk to him to find out more. @Tejas1836

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/7-62x39-extractor-replacement/66-735363/
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 5:27:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A guy in this thread runs 5.56 extractors...maybe worth a shot, esp. if you're using the gun for range purposes.

Might want to talk to him to find out more. @Tejas1836

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/7-62x39-extractor-replacement/66-735363/
View Quote

Yeah, I broke a 7.62x39 extractor using steel case ammo, did not have a backup, so I put in a 5.56 in the field. I did revert back to a 7.62 when I got a replacement but ran the 5.56 for ~1K rounds without any problems.
ETA: BCM extractor
Link Posted: 7/6/2020 5:31:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I have only shot steel and my 7.62x39 upper is all Colt.  It has lasted over a decade.  I would suggest finding out what extractor they use and whether it is available.

I haven't been able to confirm if Colt uses the same spec bolt and extractor that everyone else uses.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 12:26:57 AM EDT
[#4]
BRA or KAK is where I'd go.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 9:53:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
BRA or KAK is where I'd go.
View Quote

I’m familiar with KAK. What does BRA stand for?
The cheapest I’ve found is from Windham Weaponry, $14.00. KAK has them for $18.00.
Im thinking cheaper since they seem to wear out fast. I’ll probably just buy 10.
I figured it out, Black Rifle.

I’m still looking for the cheapest out there.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 4:10:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I have made springs for 35 years.
I would try stress relieving the next one.

475 degrees in the oven for 1 hour.
Degrease it first.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Another thought...if you were using the O-ring under the extractor, try taking it out.

I pulled mine on my 7.62x39 (came from the factory like that) and it actually made it work more reliably...sometimes with the O-ring the whole bcg would get stopped when the extractor tried to ride over the rim of the cartridge. I could see that stressing the extractor somewhat.
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 5:55:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I’m familiar with KAK. What does BRA stand for?
The cheapest I’ve found is from Windham Weaponry, $14.00. KAK has them for $18.00.
Im thinking cheaper since they seem to wear out fast. I’ll probably just buy 10.
I figured it out, Black Rifle.

I’m still looking for the cheapest out there.
View Quote

Buy once cry once. I wouldn't get a cheaper part strictly because it's cheap. That's probably why your first extractor failed.

Go KAK. You'll be hard pressed to find any people complain about anything they make here.
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 9:20:45 PM EDT
[#9]
When I first got the upper it wouldn't eject rounds most of the time. They sent me a little plunger to add, and it ran great, still does before the parts break. because it didn't function well when I first got it, I'm not sure weakening the spring will help. I could try, I have plenty of replacement springs if needed.

I get why you say don't buy cheap parts but the last extractors I purchased were supposed to be great, and long lasting. They were more expensive than most others. They didn't last. Keep in mind this is a $300 complete 8" upper from Radical Firearms. Not knocking RF but this isn't a door kicking gun for me. I use it on a machine gun to make a lot of noise. It's just a toy. I may try KAK this time and hope they hold out better.
Thank you all for the advise.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 12:08:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have made springs for 35 years.
I would try stress relieving the next one.

475 degrees in the oven for 1 hour.
Degrease it first.
View Quote

The spring?  Or the extractor?
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 11:20:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I ordered five from KAK. Hopefully they’re good quality.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 1:06:50 PM EDT
[#12]
This seems to be a common issue. About 5 months ago, the 7.62x39 upper I had wouldn’t eject brass cases, but steel just fine. When I narrowed it down to the extractor there were none to be had. I ended up ordering a new bolt, two actually, but that’s another story. The RTB bolt fixed the issue. I have since gotten a KAK extractor for the original bolt so hopefully it works, but I’ve yet to switch them out to try it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 12:22:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This seems to be a common issue. About 5 months ago, the 7.62x39 upper I had wouldn’t eject brass cases, but steel just fine. When I narrowed it down to the extractor there were none to be had. I ended up ordering a new bolt, two actually, but that’s another story. The RTB bolt fixed the issue. I have since gotten a KAK extractor for the original bolt so hopefully it works, but I’ve yet to switch them out to try it.
View Quote

Did the RTB bolt fit the KS-47 with out any problems and you mentioned the KAK extractor. My original bolt extractor broke two weeks ago and i sent it back to PSA so I want to get a better bolt, extractor or BCG.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:39:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Could possibly be a timing issue...
Bolt coming back too soon before case pressure drops enough to let the case release from the chamber.
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I broke yet another extractor. I’m running a short barrel on a RR auto lower so I expect to break many more. I’d like to find a place to get a semi inexpensive replacement. The last ones I bought were supposed to be super strength but it broke just as fast as the one that came with the bolt. I’m on my last one. This time I’m going for the cheapest I can find. Any recommendations where to get them? Quantity discounts are preferred.
View Quote

What buffer are you using
@bruh44
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 4:57:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I have two different 7.62x39 uppers. One I use a H3 with a AR-10 buffer spring. The other I use a Kyne shot hydraulic buffer. The one I use the H3 on is a 7.5" upper that I shoot auto with. It's loud and makes fire That's the one I seem to break a lot of these with.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top