Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 5/7/2019 7:02:50 PM EDT
I need something that sticks / stays put. Over the past few years I've been using G96 Gun Treatment to clean the BCG, CH, and upper. Works fantastic. I use G96 synthetic CLP (the mil-spec stuff) as lube. However, it doesn't last and I've been noticing a little more wear than usual on my newer rifles that have only seen G96 CLP. I think it's a great product to throw a few drops on a dirty bolt and keep rocking. But using it as lube after cleaning, storing a rifle for 2-3 months, then taking out of safe and immediately running 300 rounds through it....isn't the best option.

Don't need a CLP or do it all cleaner and oil. Just a solid and consistent lube oil that will stay in place better.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 7:10:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I need something that sticks / stays put. Over the past few years I've been using G96 Gun Treatment to clean the BCG, CH, and upper. Works fantastic. I use G96 synthetic CLP (the mil-spec stuff) as lube. However, it doesn't last and I've been noticing a little more wear than usual on my newer rifles that have only seen G96 CLP. I think it's a great product to throw a few drops on a dirty bolt and keep rocking. But using it as lube after cleaning, storing a rifle for 2-3 months, then taking out of safe and immediately running 300 rounds through it....isn't the best option.

Don't need a CLP or do it all cleaner and oil. Just a solid and consistent lube oil that will stay in place better.
View Quote
I noticed some more wear than I'd like using G96 on my Benelli M4 SBS's cam-pin, as well.
I would recommend SLIP2000 EWL as a replacement. I used grease (Cherrybalmz) on my SBS, and it did very well, but with the AR platform, I don't like it. I find that it thickens up pretty fast (I shoot suppressed 99% of the time), and have gone back to SLIP 2000 EWL for that specific application.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 7:32:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Another vote for Slip 2000 EWL
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Slip2000

Also check out the Wilson Combat lube offerings...they are awesome.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:09:27 PM EDT
[#5]
You don’t want something that sticks. It will retain abrasive dirt.
You want something viscous that irrigates away the grit.
Motor oil is the easy-button solution.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You don’t want something that sticks. It will retain abrasive dirt.
You want something viscous that irrigates away the grit.
Motor oil is the easy-button solution.
View Quote
Stays in place, not literally “sticks”. Any oil or lube is going to retain some dirt. Copper, carbon, foreign debris....it’s all there after a few hundred rounds outdoors.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:37:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
One of the Mil-Comm products such as MC3000 or TW25B.
View Quote
Larue threw in a few TW25B samples with my CAN order. I’ll give it a try.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:45:31 PM EDT
[#8]
CherryBalmz
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:55:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Cherrybalmz

Just dont eat it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:59:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Weapon shield CLP and grease works awesome,always has.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 9:07:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Similar question asked a few posts after this one "Lube that won't burn off". One that was recommended was Geissele ALG Go-Juice. It is OOOO grade grease, very light in viscosity but won't run, freeze or burn off. I love it for my duty weapons, and my Patrol rifle. Won't break the bank either. Got 4 ounces for about $11.00
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Tetra, both the oil and the grease.
Milcom TW-25b, and their oils. (The TW-25b grease is what LSAT is, the Army used to specify TW-25b by name as the only approved lube for the MK19 grenade launcher, now it's the generic LSAT).
SLIP 2000 seems to be good, it didn't seem as smooth when I tried it.
Brothers in Arms (by Dumondetech), oil and grease.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
My go to.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 10:01:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
CherryBalmz
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 10:07:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Weapon shield CLP and grease works awesome,always has.
View Quote
Love the smell of weapon shield. I found it works fine if you do regular cleaning and oiling. It does not do a good job as a protective though. Ask me how I know. Still using it as a general cleaner but moved onto grease for most lubing applications. Have only tried the CLP, not the grease
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 10:10:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Cherry Balmz
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 10:27:21 PM EDT
[#18]
CRC Brake Caliper Grease
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 10:53:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 11:10:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Remoil pro works well for me. Not sure it is absolutely the best, but it is cheap and ridiculously convenient.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 11:17:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Lucas red N tacky
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 11:30:46 PM EDT
[#22]

CLP or LP.  Or Mobil One.  Or M-Pro 7 LP.  Or Quaker State 30W?

WTF?  Why do you over-complicate things?
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 12:20:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Since my supply of left over issued CLP is dwindling down to my last few ounces, I've been looking for a suitable replacement that will clean, lube and protect. Up until this weekend I have been using 5W Rotella T6, and it is a helluva lube and nothing will rust with it, but it is lacking as a cleaner, and I normally have some left over from when I change the oil in my truck. Well, since I also shoot black powder, both muzzleloaders and cartridge rifles, I bought a can of Ballistol to use in cleaning those. On a whim I cleaned and relubed my A4 to try the Ballistol, just because I like to experiment. Not only did that A4 run perfectly, as they always do, the bolt stayed wet, and this next part really blew me a way, I have never in 32 years of cleaning dirty AR type rifles, had one that cleaned up so easily. Every trace of carbon wiped easily away with a rag and Qtips. No brushing and no scraping. All the fouling was soft or liquidy.

And to solidify my new found love for this stuff, I just cleaned a 50 year old .22 I've had for a while, that up to this point has been a basket case. Dark sewer pipe for a bore, big 25 yd groups. 1 wet patch and a bore brush pulled thru after a few minutes and I found the bore was leaded up pretty bad. It now looks bright and shiney. I literally pulled large flakes of lead out that Hoppes, CLP, RemOil, Frog lube oil and a couple other would never touch.

I'm not making this up.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 1:19:28 AM EDT
[#24]
mobil 1
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 1:35:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Superlube grease. Not a good choice for arctic temperatures, but I see your state as LA, it's great for hot temperatures and wet environments.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 1:56:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. The only lube I've seen last 500 rounds on our M16 at work. Everything else cooks off by 300.

Clarification. That's 500 rounds continuous firing, with dwell between loading mags.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 2:41:44 AM EDT
[#27]
M PRO 7 is great sticks for a loooong time!

And it’s relatively inexpensive
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 3:19:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This. The only lube I've seen last 500 rounds on our M16 at work. Everything else cooks off by 300.

Clarification. That's 500 rounds continuous firing, with dwell between loading mags.
View Quote
Thanks for the clarification.  I was going to say I have TW25b on an AR that's at 830 rounds without cleaning or relubing.  3 range sessions, however.

Mobile 1 synthetic gives good results too.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 3:54:09 AM EDT
[#29]
I do not know about the longevity, but the ALG 0000 very thin grease, and ALG Go Juice, are the slickest lubricants I have come across. I used Mobil 1 5w20 with great success, but My Geissele SD-E came with a pillow of Go Juice, using it on that trigger made a noticeable difference, so I re lubed my other SD-E, SSA-E, and milspec triggers and made a difference on all of them. plus 4 oz bottles are about $10.00 and that will last me for years.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 1:14:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I do not know about the longevity, but the ALG 0000 very thin grease, and ALG Go Juice, are the slickest lubricants I have come across. I used Mobil 1 5w20 with great success, but My Geissele SD-E came with a pillow of Go Juice, using it on that trigger made a noticeable difference, so I re lubed my other SD-E, SSA-E, and milspec triggers and made a difference on all of them. plus 4 oz bottles are about $10.00 and that will last me for years.
View Quote
This^
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 2:01:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Grease from Battle Born.

It's almost clear and has ptfe in it or something.  Stays in place and works good.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 9:12:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Lucas red and tacky axle grease
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 11:23:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Superlube aerosol.
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 9:39:40 PM EDT
[#34]
So next question. Lets assume TW25B, Cherrybalmz, ALG 0000, are all pretty much equal greases. Are y’all using just the grease to lube the entire bolt, carrier, upper receiver, charging handle?

I like to really wet the cam pin and bolt. I know the grease stays put and lubes great as a slide, but what about the rotating parts and the bolt tail that sees a good amount of gas and carbon. Basically I’m wondering if ALG very thin grease belongs on the carrier and then go juice on the bolt and cam pin?

Not sure if most liquid lubes will play nice with the grease in terms of compatibility?
Link Posted: 5/15/2019 11:57:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Just simplify you life and find any one of the quality oils and use that. Forget the grease. Run the BCG wet, and put a couple drops of oil in the side holes of the bolt every few hundred rounds. It all comes down to whether you want to clean and lube with 2 or more products or have one that does it all.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 10:20:49 PM EDT
[#36]
CherryBalmz everything.  Go several thousand rounds before having to do anything.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 10:52:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 10:53:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
CherryBalmz everything.  Go several thousand rounds before having to do anything.
View Quote
Leaning toward this.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 11:06:04 PM EDT
[#39]
View Quote
I've used that too (cheaper direct from manufacturer online) but never reslly stuck with it exclusively enough to comment on it.

Did a great job on a few squeaky door hinges, however.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 8:46:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Leaning toward this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Leaning toward this.
I wish I had better google-fu.  There was a really cool thread maybe a year or so ago where the founder of CherryBlamz gave his story of how he came up with it.

Changed my thinking entirely from a "any liquid is good enough" to "CB all the things".
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 9:05:36 PM EDT
[#41]
I could use about anything out there.....from car Oil to baby oil.... I clean and put away.   My session is about three boxes of ammo.... I usually take three diff cal guns for a session... even a 22/45 Lite is a blast.   I just purchased a bottle G96 Syn... even though it’s poo’d On here I have No worries running it on a Very nice 6940.... now you guys running 300 rnds in a session prob got to choose wisely OR .......how bout taking said bottle of lube With You to the range and give Her A Squirt!?!   Done Deal no more worries.... No?!?

H
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 10:44:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I've used that too (cheaper direct from manufacturer online) but never reslly stuck with it exclusively enough to comment on it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I got a small sample of it along with one of their buffer springs from Pat Rogers (RIP).  I liked both enough to make an order.  I've been pretty happy with it in various firearms.
Link Posted: 5/17/2019 11:21:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Looks like cherrybalmz will give u a free bottle if u pay for shipping https://www.cherrybalmz.com.  It comes out to $8.96 shipped for a full sized bottle of the centerfire rifle lube
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 12:05:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I could use about anything out there.....from car Oil to baby oil.... I clean and put away.   My session is about three boxes of ammo.... I usually take three diff cal guns for a session... even a 22/45 Lite is a blast.   I just purchased a bottle G96 Syn... even though it’s poo’d On here I have No worries running it on a Very nice 6940.... now you guys running 300 rnds in a session prob got to choose wisely OR .......how bout taking said bottle of lube With You to the range and give Her A Squirt!?!   Done Deal no more worries.... No?!?

H
View Quote
First off, 300 rounds in a session? LOL. How about a 1000 rounds during a 10 hour training course without cleaning or relubing.

I’ve been using G96 Gun Treatment to clean and G96 mil-spec CLP lube for the past two years. I always clean and relube each AR after use. When you have a dozen choices, some only get shot every 6 months. By that time, G96 has run off and disappeared. I’d like to be able to grab and go and not worry about lubing it before shooting. That and it just doesn’t stay in place where it needs to be. I’ve tried storing muzzle down and muzzle up.

It’s a known issue with a lot of lubes out there. It’s why Bill G trademarked the word “staynasity” with Go Juice. Grease is growing in popularity it seems. The first guy that truly figures out the right recipe and viscosity for an “oil” that doesn’t burn off immediately and stays in place better, will certainly have a place in the market.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 12:20:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Mobil 1

Slip 2000 EWL
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 12:21:02 AM EDT
[#46]
I like Breakfree LP. I feel it's a hair thicker than their CLP.
It was originally made for Stainless and full auto weapons.

When I pull a gun out of the vault I usually hit the lube points before going to the range.
I think most oils are going to run off or evaporate after 3 or 4 months.
I'm not a fan of grease, seen more problems caused by using it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 9:37:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I wish I had better google-fu.  There was a really cool thread maybe a year or so ago where the founder of CherryBlamz gave his story of how he came up with it.

Changed my thinking entirely from a "any liquid is good enough" to "CB all the things".
View Quote
Likewise after talking with him for a bit on Reddit. Anybody who can spin that much science mumbo jumbo together either knows what they're talking about, or has earned a few bucks for a good tale all the same.

I have one rifle that has had the same coat of CB for over a year now. Relatively low round count (pushing 1k) but it's been all suppressed. No issues of any kind.

And yeah I know, who puts less than a thousand rounds down a year...got married, left my job to go back to school, and we're trying to buy a house. The gun budget has been on a short leash
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#48]
For Cherrybalmz users, have you tried both the Black Rifle Field Balm and the Black Rifle Balm? The "Field Balm" is supposedly in between a grease and oil. It has a little flow but definitely more viscous than regular oil.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 5:36:23 PM EDT
[#49]
75% Mobile 1 and 25% ATF. Cheap and easy.
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 8:39:39 PM EDT
[#50]
M-Pro 7 lpx gun oil.  I use it on all my pistols and rifles and it works great.  Relatively cheap (as gun lubes go) and easy to find.  Breakfree LP works real!y well too.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top