Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/6/2018 5:04:25 PM EDT
How many here regularly use motor oil as a lubricant on their ARs? I'm down to my last 2/3rd bottle of issue CLP and motor oil is fairly cheap.

Any long term effects noted from use?
Can it be used as a cleaner?
How have the rust preventative qualities been?

I'm considering trying some Rotela T6 since I usually some left over after I change the oil in my truck
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 5:20:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I use cheap 5w30 in place of gun oil. Has worked fine for years.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 6:39:50 PM EDT
[#3]
My GFs dad and I do vehicle maintenance for our elderly neighbors and we always have leftover oul.  So I just combine em into a vat and use it for lube on all my guns.  It's cheap, because it costs my time to get it, but it works well and I have lretty much an unlimited supply for all my firearms and my friends firearms.  No issues at all with it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Full synthetic
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 6:56:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Has worked fine for years.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 7:14:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, full synthetic on mine. No issues or rust.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 7:25:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Mobil 1 full synthetic.  Used it for years, never hand any problems.  I've switched to cherry balmz, the stuff is simply better.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 7:28:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Mobil 1 5w30

works great . . . been using it for several years

cheaper than CLP
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 9:07:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I got the idea on here years ago to try Mobil 1 and have used it ever since. Works great on my ARs and my pistols, everything that turns actually. I use Hopes or CLP for occasional cleaning though.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 9:43:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I use expensive motor oil which is still cheap gun oil. It’s amsoil Z-Rod 10w30. It’s a high Zinc formula for some of my antiques. If you understand how solid lifters work, it makes sense that this lube is well suited for firearms. My fleet of SR15’s/SR25’s seems happy. The high flash point of this given synthetic is a plus too.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 9:50:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Doesn’t the motor oil make your safe stink?
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 9:56:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Works great for machine guns. Very slick stuff compared to gun oil. Try not to get it on your grips and stocks though, makes the gun slippery, ha
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 7:26:21 AM EDT
[#13]
All the left over Mobil 1 from my oil changes goes into the gun oil bottle.  I supply Mobil 1 gun oil to two sons and a nephew.

No issues on handguns, rifles or shot guns.

Used as lube and as rust preventive coating for the steel parts whether blued or parkerized.

I used Hoppes#9 or Black Off for cleaning.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 11:53:39 AM EDT
[#14]
ive used just about every type of lube there is.....CLP, RemOil, Frog Lube, WD40, Air-tool oil, 3-in-1, Teflon, motor oil, ect.

honestly i couldnt tell a difference between any of them....all perform exactly the same.

i just use 50/50 mix of 10w30 and Motorkote....only reason i added the motorkote is because i had it on hand and figured "why not"....works as well as anything else ive used.

if im going to be in rain or around salt water, like i am with my duck guns, i will wipe down the exterior with Frog lube.....its great for corrosion.

the only reason i dont use it in my guns is because its non-petroleum based...and if i have to borrow lube in case i run dry, its likely going to be petroleum based, and i dont want to mix lubes encase theres any unwanted reaction
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 10:09:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Mobil1 full synthetic been using for years.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 10:11:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Engines are a much more expensive and abusive then Firearms.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 10:32:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Mobil 1 20w50 V-Twin.

Works great even in rain and sub 32 degree weather.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 9:38:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Motor oil is fine to use on a ar15. Just don't use USED motor oil as they contain carcinogens.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 10:27:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Just poured me some T6 into one of my little empty LSA bottles. I'm gonna have to admit that using it to clean my CZ PCR was much less messy than the CLP I normally use. Smells about the same really.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 10:09:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Never noticed my safe stinking. Sometimes motor oil migrates after prolonged storage. Not to drift thread, but I’m leaning more and more to greases due to this.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 10:24:57 PM EDT
[#22]
mobil 1 5-20 left over from wives oil changes.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 11:43:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Used Mobile 1 and Marvel Mystery Oil mixture for years. Tried Cherry Balmz and am using this now.

The mixture is on stand-by.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 6:48:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Bought 30 cases of Wolf Black Box Poly about 15 years ago.  Stuff was notable for non-ferrous projos (good) and the lowest chronograph velocities (bad) among Russian steel imports.  The low power level (bad) translated directly as dirt, worse than any ammo we've used before or since.

Have about 5 cases left, rest has gone downrange at MG shoots.  Of note, "rounds fired till it chokes" with this stuff is at least an order of magnitude less than seen with about any brass cased M193/M855.  Which means the ammo makes it easy to test/compare different lubes.

Using CLP figure on 500 rds BB till something stops or needs forward assist.  M1syn doubles that figure.  Just about exactly, and reproducibly.  We've used 0W-10 and 5W-20.

Lately been using Rotella T6 5W-40.  Did so on the basis of reports here a few years back.  Compared the M1syn the T6 seems to keep the carbon softer and easier to scrape.  Otherwise see no difference.  That "easier to scrape" part is why son and I now use it on our Beretta 391s, too.

I don't know why I'd prefer even 0W-20 as a solvent.  It's just messier than CLP.  As for rust prevention can't comment - don't live near salt water.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 7:48:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Bought 30 cases of Wolf Black Box Poly about 15 years ago.  Stuff was notable for non-ferrous projos (good) and the lowest chronograph velocities (bad) among Russian steel imports.  The low power level (bad) translated directly as dirt, worse than any ammo we've used before or since.

Have about 5 cases left, rest has gone downrange at MG shoots.  Of note, "rounds fired till it chokes" with this stuff is at least an order of magnitude less than seen with about any brass cased M193/M855.  Which means the ammo makes it easy to test/compare different lubes.

Using CLP figure on 500 rds BB till something stops or needs forward assist.  M1syn doubles that figure.  Just about exactly, and reproducibly.  We've used 0W-10 and 5W-20.

Lately been using Rotella T6 5W-40.  Did so on the basis of reports here a few years back.  Compared the M1syn the T6 seems to keep the carbon softer and easier to scrape.  Otherwise see no difference.  That "easier to scrape" part is why son and I now use it on our Beretta 391s, too.

I don't know why I'd prefer even 0W-20 as a solvent.  It's just messier than CLP.  As for rust prevention can't comment - don't live near salt water.
View Quote
Huh
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 5:15:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Huh
View Quote
Get a beer and read it carefully again, I think I got what he was trying to get across....

Link Posted: 10/1/2018 11:07:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
How many here regularly use motor oil as a lubricant on their ARs? I'm down to my last 2/3rd bottle of issue CLP and motor oil is fairly cheap.

I'm considering trying some Rotela T6 since I usually some left over after I change the oil in my truck
View Quote
Rotella T6 is what I use.  Synthetic with diesel detergent additives.  Diesels run rich and dirty just like the carbon deposits in direct impingment AR actions.

It helps keep the carbon in suspension, but is not a substitute for use as a cleaner.  It has decent rust prevention, but not as good as some others.  Keep your weapon clean after rain or other exposure, lightly lube and it will not rust.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 11:33:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Mobile 1 full synthetic
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 7:12:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Engine oil is fine I use mobil 1 for a decade no problems.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 8:27:54 PM EDT
[#30]
I've been using the same Qt bottle of Mobile 1 for the last 8 years.  Still have a ton left.  Works great.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 4:43:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Huh
View Quote
What he said was, a rifle with good synthetic motor oil in it will run roughly twice as long as it will running CLP, especially when things get grungy. I concur.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:56:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 11:32:41 PM EDT
[#33]
T6 is my go to.
I don't use it as a cleaner.
While I don't shoot thousands of rounds a week I do shoot regularly and am perfectly satisfied with it.
I put some in a little squeeze bottle with a metal needle looking tip and apply with that or a Q-tip.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 6:26:23 PM EDT
[#34]
I use Mobil 1 synthetic.  Works great as a lube, rifle cleans up easily.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 8:32:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Amsoil Signature 0w20
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 8:22:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Mobil1 full synthetic been using for years.
View Quote
Same here. I have used it over 10 years or so, no issues. I did worry about corrosion protection as every test on motor oil I have seen it doesn't offer much protection in that area, but no problem.

I use Hoppes #9 to clean, but the Mobil 1 makes cleaning easier than Breakfree. It seems to keep the carbon in suspension instead of allowing it to cake and bake in. Wipe off most of it, hit the rest with a brush soaked in Hoppes, wipe off after a bit and relube.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 8:44:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Mobil 1 full synthetic. I have been using it for years.  I use the same stuff that goes in my vehicles.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:09:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Full synthetic
View Quote
This - I've been doing it for many years.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:31:35 PM EDT
[#39]
I use 2/3 motor oil, 1/3 automatic transmission fluid.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 5:42:16 PM EDT
[#40]
I wish I knew about motor oil and brake cleaner when I was in the Army.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 7:38:06 PM EDT
[#41]
I use any brand synthetic multi viscosity ( 10w30 5w30  10w40 etc) motor oil.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#42]
With such an undemanding application as a firearm- specifically an AR- any motor oil you could think of will work. I keep a bottle of Mobil 10w40 in the garage and have used that on all my guns, but I prefer Magnalube grease simply because grease stays put and that one has better corrosion prevention capability (which, admittedly, is not a huge issue here in the desert).
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 10:37:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Full synthetic
View Quote
Ive been using mobile 1 for years.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 11:00:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Shot 100 rounds per rifle thru two rifles this weekend, each lubed with Mobil1 0W-40. Both performed flawlessly.

Cleanup was easiest I have ever done. I suspect the oil is engineered to suspend carbon in it?
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 11:14:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just that my guns are clean, slick, and work great.

View Quote
It's not the fastest cleaner, but yes, it will work.

View Quote
No rust on any of my guns, but I'm not in a terribly rust-prone area.   If you lived in a house on the beach, you'd probably want something different.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:54:59 PM EDT
[#46]
WalMart 30W, same thing I burn in the engine.  I uses Hoppes #9 for cleaning.

The Army uses CLP as cleaner AND lubricant, then the armorer demands you turn in the weapon dry as a bone.  OK!
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 2:30:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
WalMart 30W, same thing I burn in the engine.  I uses Hoppes #9 for cleaning.

The Army uses CLP as cleaner AND lubricant, then the armorer demands you turn in the weapon dry as a bone.  OK!
View Quote
do not get me started on how stupid most unit armorers are, or how stupid most Army small-arms conventional wisdom is....
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 3:05:16 PM EDT
[#48]
MobileOne here - was turned onto it via ARF when I was first getting into ARs and its worked great
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 6:38:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Also, one more note:   If  you want to try something fun, try 50/50 synthetic motor oil and synthetic transmission fluid.  A lot of anti-wear agents, anti-corrosives, excellent boundary-layer lubrication, high dispersant agent content, ATF has a *lot* of things going for it that make it incredibly well-suited to being a firearms lubricant.   The only real downside to it vs. motor oil is that motor oil is made for much higher temperatures.  If you're running your gun so hard and heavy that you're smoking whatever lube you put on it, ATF would not the choice for you.

That being said, even when I have run ARs so hot that the oils on the outside of the barrel were smoking, a mix of 50/50 synthetic oil/atf has not let me down, after hundreds of rounds, there's still lube.    You go home to clean it, and all of the carbon is suspended and/or dissolved in that lube, and just wipes away.  Carbon that's suspended/dissolve in the oil is MUCH less abrasive than dry carbon stuck to metal surfaces!
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:01:45 PM EDT
[#50]
@GlutealCleft

any particular type/brand of synthetic ATF you recommend?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top