Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/15/2017 2:44:50 PM EDT
I've heard that people don't seem to like it because it dries out quickly, but isn't that what it's supposed to do? I thought the oil was just a carrier and then it dried and left a coating of teflon on the surface of the metal that acted as a lube.

Just curious if any of you still use it on Ar's or handguns.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 2:49:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I use it for quick wipe downs and cleans.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 2:57:25 PM EDT
[#2]
My local Tractor Supply had the big spray cans of the stuff on sale last fall for I think $2.99, needless to say I bought all of it at that price.  It's not as good as CLP but it does the job and at the price I got it for I'll use it. 
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 3:00:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I use it for cleaning mostly. Works well to blow the crud out if tight spaces.  Then I apply an oil like Slip to friction points.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 4:03:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I use it mostly with my .22 rifles.  i keep a squirt bottle of it in my range bag.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:12:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Poor lube and poor protectant.

There is much better stuff available.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 7:59:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Works great on frozen padlocks, anything else it sucks.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 8:36:07 PM EDT
[#7]
It's a good spray cleaner that can help prevent rust.  Better then WD-40.

As a lubricant it's just too thin and runs off quickly.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:34:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I only use it to put some oil/lube back on the bare metal surfaces after spraying something down with carb or brake cleaner.  Then I go over what I can reach/make contact with again with an oily rag to get some real oil on the surfaces.  Can't get that rag back in every crack/crevice so that's what the spray rem-oil does for me (at least that's the idea.)

I don't use it for a stand alone lube.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:06:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Doesn't lube well at all. Most experiments on steel plates I have seen, it was one of the worst protectants too.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#10]
So something weird, I think they changed their formula recently. Just bought a can of Rem Oil and instead of saying it has Teflon, now it says "with 2x more lubricant than previous Rem Oil formula" on the can.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:12:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I run a soaked patch of rem oil down the bore after i am finished up with copper removers and solvents.  

Then i run a bunch of dry patches through until dry. The theory is to have some oil protection bonded in pores of the bore, yet still have a dry bore that is ready to fire. The rem oil i have is very, very light and IMO works perfect for this application. Shooting your rifle with oil residue in your barrel can hydraulically ruin the barrel.

I am sure there are about 100 other types of oil out there that will do just as good of a job?

This stuff was never designed to use as a lubricant for your BCG. Its a light lubricant for special applications, cleaner and a protectant.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#12]
I've used it a lot on my ARs. No unusual wear and I used it as a stand alone lube. Works as a cleaner even on some corrosive ammo. Nothing special but nothing evil either.

I am a big fan of Remington Dry Lube. I sprayed some on a BCG in 2004 and after 3500+ rounds, it's still slick as snot.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 4:04:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So something weird, I think they changed their formula recently. Just bought a can of Rem Oil and instead of saying it has Teflon, now it says "with 2x more lubricant than previous Rem Oil formula" on the can.
View Quote
Probably cause they realized they were slacking with the quality
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 4:01:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been using aerosol can of Rem oil for as long as I can remeber on all my weapons from AR to over under shotguns and all in between. I have yet to have any issues with it. Imo it's great as a rust preventative and I've also used on my BCG and never had a stopage or jam....
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 4:03:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  It will let a gun rust.  Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 4:38:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Terrible lubricant for autos.  It's really only good for cleaning and light lube/protect on hunting firearms for cold weather (like a remington 700 trigger).
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 4:48:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I like it on bolt actions...that's about it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:13:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Rem Oil is half mineral spirits, half oil, and a touch of teflon. Terrible (no) rust protection, too light to prevent wear, and disappears quickly.
I have no clue why anyone would even consider this product when there are dozens of other products available that do a much better job.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 12:25:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Rem Oil aerosol is a pretty good ablative for suppressors.

Easy to apply and no rust/corrosion worries like water based alternatives.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 5:51:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I thought the oil was just a carrier and then it dried and left a coating of teflon on the surface of the metal that acted as a lube.
View Quote

No.

It does have a light oil.  It does have a volatile.  It does have little flakes of teflon.  But, it is not like a paint or varnsh where the carrier is designed to evenly distribute the pigment; what is left on the surface are randomly distributed flakes of teflon, not a "coating".  The teflon is supposed to work with the light oil and act like marbles gliding the mating surfaces together with low friction.  It works until the light oil migrates and the teflon obeys the law of gravity and falls off.

If you want to coat something with teflon, it has to be heated to the point where the teflon becomes pliable enough for the flakes to flow together and form an uniform film across the surface it was applied to.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 5:54:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I use RemOil for lock mechanisms because they are largely enclosed so the teflon flakes don't have anywhere to go once the volatile carrier evaporates.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 9:32:14 AM EDT
[#23]
My colleague uses it and seems to be okay with it.  I've used Hoppes in the past but found a new product I like much better called Shooter's Gold made by SconixOutdoors. Different than others than are non-toxic, and it doesn't run from where I applied it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:17:16 AM EDT
[#24]
I use it to wipe down the exterior of my firearms; that is about it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 1:23:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Rem oil is very light, doesn't lube well, and has failed as a rust preventative in well-designed tests.

Because I have it on hand and want to use most of it up (I have large spray can plus a bottle of it), I apply it as a follow-up to remove all traces of solvent or bore cleaner.  I have also found that because it penetrates well due it's low viscosity, it can be useful as a lightweight cleaner when used by itself.  So I'll likely always have a small bottle on hand, but nothing more.

If you want a good, simple oil, hunt up a bottle of Nyoil, and perhaps another one of an oil designed for lubicating old clocks.  Either one is better than Rem oil, and many other products, hands down.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 1:35:07 PM EDT
[#26]
So what do you guys suggest for the best possible lube? I use ALG go-juice and it seems decent, a little runny
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
So what do you guys suggest for the best possible lube? I use ALG go-juice and it seems decent, a little runny
View Quote
Synthetic automotive engine oil. Seriously.
It's engineered to lubricate from the southern heat to Klondike cold, all the while providing  anti-wear additives, rust and corrosion inhibitors, & friction modifiers.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 2:54:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My local Tractor Supply had the big spray cans of the stuff on sale last fall for I think $2.99, needless to say I bought all of it at that price.  It's not as good as CLP but it does the job and at the price I got it for I'll use it.
View Quote
I got some of that too. I use it to spray down the safe guns.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 8:33:38 PM EDT
[#29]
There's a new version of remember oil out , has any one tried it?
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 8:02:53 PM EDT
[#30]
I quit using Rem Oil years ago when I discovered that it made the action of my pump guns get stiff in extreme cold. Don't know how is did that with as thin as it is but it did. I still have a can or two laying around but only use it to oil some of the moving parts on my reloader.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 1:13:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It's engineered to lubricate from the southern heat to Klondike cold, all the while providing  anti-wear additives, rust and corrosion inhibitors, & friction modifiers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Truth.  Lubes and protects automotive turbocharger bearings running at 100,000 rpm and 1500 degrees F., or on moving metal components in subzero temps and everything in between

Detergent additives help with cleaning - keeps carbon in suspension rather that depositing on the surface.

One quart will last years.  Extremely cost-effective.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 7:04:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've heard that people don't seem to like it because it dries out quickly, but isn't that what it's supposed to do? I thought the oil was just a carrier and then it dried and left a coating of teflon on the surface of the metal that acted as a lube.
View Quote
That's what the maker of any PTFE-in-a-volatile-carrier wants you to think.

But it doesn't work that way.

The PTFE doesn't disperse evenly across the surface and form a coating; it clumps.

View Quote
I have Rem-Oil in my shop and I use in for applications where having irregular blobs of PTFE on the surface of a workpiece to be appropriate.  I do not use it on any of my guns.  The owner's manual of every gun I own (including commercially produced ARs) specifies that the gun is to be lubricated with either 1) a high quality firearms oil, or 2) a light machine oil.  I take those two to be synonyms and so use a light machine oil exclusively on all my guns (although I will use grease on portions of the barrel of some of my rifles made inaccessible by the configuration of the stock.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 10:53:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
I agree with this.    I'd use motor oil over Remoil.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 3:42:28 PM EDT
[#34]
I'd use WD-40 over Remoil - it is the absolute worst gun product on the market. In fact there are many non-gun products that sell for much less and are as good or better than the expensive gun store brands.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 5:08:05 AM EDT
[#35]
I use Rem Oil for lubricating my bicycle's chain.  That's all I will use it for.  Ha!
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 6:19:18 AM EDT
[#36]
I have tried it,  seems too thin,  once folks told me about mobile one that is what I use,  I have quarts of it for my motorcycle 20w50 and I saved about a 1/4 quart,  been using it for a long time.  the quart was about 4 dollars.  most "gun" lubes are that much for one small bottle.

but I have glocks for the most part and you could use bacon grease and still be ok.

my dan wesson I use mobile one.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 9:30:28 AM EDT
[#37]
RemOil, just say no.

Synthetic motor oil. I use full synthetic diesel detergent formula Shell Rotella T6.  Our direct infringement actions are a high carbon environment running dirty with particulates like the inside of a turbo direct injection diesel engine.  The detergents help keep carbon from sticking and hold it in suspension.  The synthetic oil has superior lubrication from Sahara desert to Arctic tundra.  A quart is about $6 or so and will last a lifetime.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
RemOil, just say no.

Synthetic motor oil. I use full synthetic diesel detergent formula Shell Rotella T6.  Our direct infringement actions are a high carbon environment running dirty with particulates like the inside of a turbo direct injection diesel engine.  The detergents help keep carbon from sticking and hold it in suspension.  The synthetic oil has superior lubrication from Sahara desert to Arctic tundra.  A quart is about $6 or so and will last a lifetime.
View Quote
Considering T6 is a 5W40 oil, have you noticed any problems with it thickening up if you run the rifle hot?
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 5:00:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Slip2000 EWL. It is great stuff
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 10:52:43 AM EDT
[#40]
It works okay. I prefer CLP.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 2:17:14 PM EDT
[#41]
For the price, Rem Oil is good to have in a range bag just in case you need some quick cleaning\lube.

As another poster said, it also works well as a final step in barrel cleaning before dry patching.

Its not CLP, but its good in a pinch.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Considering T6 is a 5W40 oil, have you noticed any problems with it thickening up if you run the rifle hot?
View Quote
No problem.   I don't do mag dumps, but extended range time can still get it pretty hot and I have never sensed it being too thick under those conditions.  This oil is intended to withstand over 1500 degrees F. in the center shaft journal bearings of turbochargers turning over 100,000 rpm with only 1 or 2 thousandths of an inch clearance.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#43]
I use no other. Been using since about 1992 maybe a few years before that but I can remember buying a can that year.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 5:21:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
I used to use it before i knew any better.
I would notice a "varnish" it would leave that i had to scrub off on parts of my Benelli barrel after it got hot.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 5:29:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 6:09:30 PM EDT
[#46]
It works okay for a light cleaning job, but do not rely upon it for lubrication or protection.

I pulled out a couple of guns that had been stored for about 8 years and had used Remoil on them before putting them away. I read about problems and had to check my guns. Upon disassembly, both were found to have a sticky film wherever Remoil had been used for lubrication. Luckily, both were stored in a dry environment so there was no rust or corrosion and a good cleaning brought them back to life. I now use Tetra products for lubrication and storage. It is safe on polymer so can be used on every firearm that I own.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 11:08:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
pops1085,

Personally I like Rem Oil for all my toys. Unfortunately they don't offer it in the squirt bottles anymore and so I've moved on to using Breakfree.

Impala
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 12:05:07 PM EDT
[#48]
I use it just for general cleaning of inside the receiver and bolt parts.  It's a terrible lube.  Lube afterwards.  Doesn't eat up my hands like gunscrubber.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 2:06:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
About ten years ago a shotgun I had got specs of rust on it after sitting a year after a remoil wipe down. Been using Ballistol ever since.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 11:02:55 AM EDT
[#50]
its not bad for trigger mechanisms......also not bad for running a patch down the bore.......and its great for cleaning fingerprints off polished guns.

also good to run on the mating surface of scope rings to help prevent corrosion.

i generally dont run it in my ARs......that being said, i have done it....and never noticed any difference.

frankly....ive never noticed a change in performance regarding ANY oil i use in my guns
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top