Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/11/2016 10:35:44 PM EDT
Do any of you guys use any products like this ? just looking for some info, don't have any experience with the stuff but i kinda like the concept.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 11:05:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I tried it once, some got on my stock and I didnt see it, ate the varnish off it
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 11:17:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I've heard that before. That's why i started this thread. Is there anything out there that's a little bit more on the safer side? Also, what brand is everyone using? I'm a slip 2000 guy so so i got used to the less harmful shit.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 12:12:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I use a brass rod, patches, bore guide, etc, with Hoppe's No. 9 bore cleaner about once a year.   Otherwise I just run a bore snake w/ Ballistol every thousand rounds or when I feel like it.   No need to baby it for most barrel types any more.    When I first started with the AR-15 I would clean every time after shooting.  In time I found I didn't need to keep it super clean.  Just apply some fresh lube before a shooting session to the right parts and go nuts.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 3:27:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a friend who introduced me to some and it works great for what it is.  He said not to use it in AR's because of getting it into the gas tube but I use it for cleaning my Springfield Trapdoor carbine, bolt action rifles, etc.  Initially he showed it to me to use at the range shooting my Trapdoor Carbine so it cleans out powder residue before I had time to clean it correctly and it worked well.   Just open the breech, squirt the foam in and set it on the rack muzzle down so everything washes and drains out.  It's not my primary means of cleaning but it definitely has its place in our gun cleaning.  I can't remember the name of the stuff but it turns blue when it dissolves copper if that helps lol.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 10:39:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I have heard good things about Wipe-Out. I bought a can recently to try.

I will be interested to see if it really is better?
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 10:40:08 AM EDT
[#6]

It's all I use, and it works great.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 12:31:38 PM EDT
[#7]
My buddy like to use those products. He like it. I myself am old school and prefer the old fashion way.

Impala

Link Posted: 12/12/2016 12:36:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Yea i usually clean every 1,000 rounds or so and use the same method that someone else commented, some hoppes and and Otis cleaning kit. Once in a blue i run a boresnake through the barrel, usually after each range session. I def don't clean after every trip anymore. I'm interested in the foaming stuff because it seems like a good concept. The wipe-out thing seems pretty cool. How long do you usually leave it in the barrel for? I may give it a shot soon. Anything i should know like someone else mentioned about the gas tube or anything? Thanks for all the input
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 12:55:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I use it.  It works fine in AR's, but it is messy.  I like it because it's easy - jam the hose attachment down the chamber, and spray for a second or so.  It squirts out the muzzle.  It's messy as Hell, with the overspray and just general mess, but it's easy and does get all the surfaces - and is chemically formulated to yank out copper fouling - which is easily visible as blue foam.  Let sit for a while, while cleaning the other parts.  Push out the blue foam with a cleaning patch on a rod from the breach.  The gas tube is stainless, it doesn't mind the foam.  I try to avoid getting it on the aluminum receiver, though I haven't seen any evidence that it hurts anything.  I like it on pistol barrels, as those are small and simple.

I haven't had any problems from using it.

Link Posted: 12/12/2016 2:03:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I use wipe-out foaming bore cleaner in my bolt-action rifles, it's pretty easy.  Shoot the bore full, wait, patch it out.  I usually put a paper towel in the breach end to keep it from shooting all over the place.

If you want it to work even faster, run a couple of patches of Hoppe's through the bore, then shoot it full of the Wipe-Out, and let it sit.

In my ARs, I just use regular Hoppe's, as wipe-out isn't great for aluminum.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 12:05:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I use it in my bolt rifles that I have copper fouled and it works very well to knock the tenacious fouling. I try not to foul them but it happens. I don't get my 223 Ars hot enough to foul them. The 243 in a hot prairie dog town shooting 100 rounds an hour for hours on end gets them pretty hot with short barrel life. I don't mind buying a new barrel as its a small price to pay for the kind  of shooting you dream about stumbling into.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 11:18:56 AM EDT
[#12]
I use wipeout and like it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 11:22:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use wipeout and like it.
View Quote

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top