Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/14/2015 12:47:18 PM EDT
It's been many years, but I seem to remember punching the bore (put cleaning rod/patch/brush through bore) for M14 and M16 through the muzzle.  Any other old timers remember if that is true?  If so can I punch the AR15 bore through the muzzle also.  Would be easier to clean in the field.  Just put stock on ground, muzzle pointing up, and push cleaning rod down and pull back up with patches/brush.  Thank you
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:00:01 PM EDT
[#1]
It's "easier" to clean from the breech...and is also the correct method.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I remember them teaching us to take a rod section and scrape the muzzle also (inside the flash hider)

no no no no no no no no

Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:08:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Semper Fi.  Thanks for the response and confirmation.  For me it was in the late 1960's, early 1970's.  Good luck.  Thanks again
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:13:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, I've been doing it correctly through the breech.  Not so bad if there's some sort of bench around. Can't picture how going through the breech in the field can be easier than through the muzzle.  Anything you can suggest would be appreciated.  Thank you
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:26:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, I've been doing it correctly through the breech.  Not so bad if there's some sort of bench around. Can't picture how going through the breech in the field can be easier than through the muzzle.  Anything you can suggest would be appreciated.  Thank you
View Quote

break it down shotgun style (pull rear takedown pin - leave front in)

pull charging handle and BCG - throw in your cover

bend it over your knee and clean bore

it works decently enough
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 2:31:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Good idea.  I'll do that.  Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:35:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 10:49:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Good idea.  I'll do that.  Thanks for your help.
View Quote

anytime Devil Dog

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:54:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Thank you for that suggestion.  I actually have that Otis kit.  It very good.  But I'd rather use a cleaning rod than a snake for the bore.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:05:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Use a snake in the field. You shouldn't need more than that for the bore while out.

Use a rod at home or in camp where you can more thoroughly clean it and use a breech bore guide.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thank you for that suggestion.  I actually have that Otis kit.  It very good.  But I'd rather use a cleaning rod than a snake for the bore.
View Quote

The Otis isn't really a snake, at least like the typical snakes.  It still uses threaded, covered, SS cables with brass fittings.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:57:27 AM EDT
[#12]
The M1 Rifle, M14 Rifle and M1 Carbine have to be cleaned from the muzzle or by using a pull-through, as the bore is not accessible to a rod from the breech end. So your old training was not really wrong for the M14 as far as the military was concerned, just bad for the muzzle in the long term.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Thank you for confirming the M14 instruction was correct (was a long time ago)  Thanks
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 3:20:32 AM EDT
[#14]
I've always inserted the rod from muzzle end, THEN spun the brush on (breech end) and PULLED through the muzzle (I use rods the same method as a "pull through").
AK's don't have an inline bore, so I've gotten used to that method from cleaning them, so now I just do all my rifles that way.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:36:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Use=these-for-M14-types
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top