Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2014 9:59:18 AM EDT
Does anyone use the AR15 chamber cleaning stars?  I can't justify spending 17 bucks on something that probably costs a quarter of a dollar to make, but if you guys recommend it, I might search under the sofa cushions for some spare change.

Thanks!

Tapco cleaning stars
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:01:42 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Does anyone use the AR15 chamber cleaning stars?  I can't justify spending 17 bucks on something that probably costs a quarter of a dollar to make, but if you guys recommend it, I might search under the sofa cushions for some spare change.

Thanks!

Tapco cleaning stars

View Quote
I've used them, they work as advertised, albeit a little pricey. I usually just clean it with a rag and call it done.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 10:08:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Not worth the money IMHO.  I use cotton swabs.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:53:41 AM EDT
[#3]
They are not really big enough to fill chamber plus they usually fall off whatever you put them on.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:08:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Save your money and just use cotton swabs. Spend the money on ammo or reloading supplies.

Vince
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:16:04 AM EDT
[#5]
After a scrub with a chamber brush, I just take a large patch and some CLP, and use a dental pick to mop up the mess (tried q-tips, but my chamber has a few snaggy spots and I end up with cotton fibers all over)
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:30:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Just a gimmick, I've tried them and not worth the money or hassle involved

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:37:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I've used them & they seem to work well. I like them.

Not sure they are worth the price though.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Agree'd they seem like a good idea.. but a lot of money. why are they so expensive?

I fear the similar "chamber mop" is also  a total failure.. since the chamber lugs are typically sharp the mop catches on them.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I have been using the same one for over 6 months.  After using a chamber brush and some qtips, it gets twisted onto a brass brush and dipped in Ed's Red.  I re-dip it to clean it and dry it off with a paper towel after I am done.  

I think it may only work so well for me because of the Ed's Red; I would not use CLP on it because that would be a huge waste of CLP and not be easily cleanable.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top