Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2013 4:02:39 AM EDT
Got my new AR15. Went to indoor range to try it out.  Put about 30 rounds through it.  Came home, cut a patch, ran it from chamber to muzzle, but too much patch.  Stuck in chamber.  Using cable type rather than rod.  Can't push it back out from muzzle side because the cable is too limp.  Too deep to get a dental pic on it to pull it out. My only success with pics was to shred that end of the patch.  Put oil in chamber hoping a soaked patch would push out.  No deal.  I tried twisting the cable, hoping the patch would be extracted from the eye on the end of the cable so the cable would exit out of the muzzle so I could use a rod to push the patch out through the chamber.  No go.  Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you get the patch out?  I'm desperate.  I could take it to a local armorer, but he would charge $75.00.  I'm looking for a cheaper solution!!
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:25:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Drive to Wal-Mart
Buy cleaning kit w/ .22" cleaning rods
Profit

Reading is fundamental.  The cable doesn't unscrew from the patch eyelet?

Worst case scenario is you remove the bbl, & then carefully put some needle nose pliers in the chamber.  You'll get a bbl wrench out of the deal too, for less than $75.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:50:38 AM EDT
[#2]
does the cable have screw off attachments?  If so, you can try twising the cable until it came undone, and then ram a rod down the front.  I never liked cable or snakes for cleaning.  I had a friend have a bore snake snap off in his barrel, and he couldn't hammer it out.  ended up putting it in the oven to burn it out.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I several things.  Finally after all failed, I decided to put the Otis cable in the vice.  Then I took hold of the barrel and started pulling.  I figure I would stick the patch even tighter, or. . . .  Well, the oil I had soaked it with started doing its stuff and I could feel the cable being pulled out as I back away from the vice.  I'll use smaller patches from now on.  Thanks for suggestions.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:54:02 AM EDT
[#4]
On one of the boards I'm on, someone got a 9mm boresnake stuck in some fancy European .223" EBR.  He couldn't even remove the bbl, and I don't remember what he did to get it out.  That thread went on for days & pages before something worked.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top