Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/6/2013 9:54:14 PM EDT
A friend of mine said he wanted me to clean his AR-15 that was built by an "ex-military armorer". I separated the upper from the lower and saw this. The guy who built it for him (remember, allegedly an ex military armorer...) had the castle nut on BACKWARDS and also had loc-tite/thread lock on EVERYTHING including the Magpul ASAP. There was so much thread lock on the grip screw that it had poured into the lower receiver. Anyway, I cleaned it up for him and made things right. Am I just being sensitive, or would you be pissed if this was your rifle that was built for you...

Before 1:

Before 2:

Before 3:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
After 1:

After 2:

After 3:

After 4:

I also put the receiver extension in correctly along with the castle nut, and then staked it properly as well...that's a pretty sexy stake if I do say so myself...
Link Posted: 4/6/2013 9:56:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice clean up.

Looks like someone dumped a bunch of milk in there.
Link Posted: 4/6/2013 9:59:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Nice clean up.

Looks like someone dumped a bunch of milk in there.

Thank you, I was quite pleased with how it turned out. Some of the stuff was white and some was green. It was very chalky and hard to remove. The other stuff, near the hole for the pistol grip screw, is mostly excess thread lock. The guy HAD to have soaked the screw in thread lock and then screwed it in.
Link Posted: 4/6/2013 10:15:38 PM EDT
[#3]
it looks like dried white lithium grease
Link Posted: 4/6/2013 10:16:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I would be more pissed that you staked my castle nut on
Link Posted: 4/6/2013 10:26:14 PM EDT
[#5]
What did you use to dissolve the threadlock?

How does one undo an aggressive staking job like that, if they want to put a different stock on?
Link Posted: 4/6/2013 10:29:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What did you use to dissolve the threadlock?

How does one undo an aggressive staking job like that, if they want to put a different stock on?

Staking a castle nut on is per mil-spec. My friend also wanted it done. You do not need to remove a stake unless you are changing out a receiver extension/buffer tube. Why would you ever want to do that anyway?

I primarily use Ballistol to clean and lubricate my firearms.
Link Posted: 4/6/2013 10:30:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You think? It looks like it was sprayed though...it also was coming out of the back of the receiver extension out of the drain hole...
Link Posted: 4/6/2013 11:05:57 PM EDT
[#8]
You're a good man, to go that far on somebody else's project.  Well done sir!
Link Posted: 4/6/2013 11:57:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You're a good man, to go that far on somebody else's project.  Well done sir!

Thank you! I appreciate that!
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 12:09:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You think? It looks like it was sprayed though...it also was coming out of the back of the receiver extension out of the drain hole...

The Armament guys used something similar on 30mm barrels for the Apache's gun barrel and some internal parts. I forget the name but it's not what I posted above. The stuff above is availiable at any Autozone.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 2:15:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's supposed to be.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 2:23:49 AM EDT
[#12]
That looks like some one did a half ass job of cleaning/degreasing and tried cleaning it with acetone.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 6:24:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Nice work.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 12:39:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nice work.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 1:18:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's supposed to be.

I am not a conscript, I do not need mine staked on.  I have fired 10s of thousands of rounds through ARs with the Castle nut not staked and never had one come loose.  I have changed stock styles many times on the same Lower would be a PITA to try and unstake, especially that Staking Job.  IT looks good OP and will hold well, but too well for me.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 1:52:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's supposed to be.

I am not a conscript, I do not need mine staked on.  I have fired 10s of thousands of rounds through ARs with the Castle nut not staked and never had one come loose.  I have changed stock styles many times on the same Lower would be a PITA to try and unstake, especially that Staking Job.  IT looks good OP and will hold well, but too well for me.

Thanks! I do everything as hard as I can.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 6:31:49 PM EDT
[#17]
a stake isn't hard to "undo", you just stick a regular pin punch (small enough to fit in the pocket of the nut) against the distorted material and whack it good, pushes it right back outta the way where it came from.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice work OP.

If someone cant "undo" staking - they have no business doing so.  It is sort of like a child proof cap on a bottle of medicine.

You are a good friend.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 7:01:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice work there OP. I would the same for one of my friends. The guy who did that had no business building AR'S.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 7:06:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
a stake isn't hard to "undo", you just stick a regular pin punch (small enough to fit in the pocket of the nut) against the distorted material and whack it good, pushes it right back outta the way where it came from.

That plate is pretty soft, I can usually just turn the nut past any staking.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 7:26:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/7/2013 8:01:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That's how I took a stake out once. Easy as pie......

Edited to add: Nice job OP!  You're a good friend.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 5:58:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Thank you all for the kind words! I guess I just think that things worth doing are worth doing right...
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 6:33:22 AM EDT
[#24]
It's a common practice to install the castle nut backwards so the large openings are against the end plate so they are less likely to snag on things.
It's tightend with an old school castle nut wrench instead of the new style one.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 7:01:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It's a common practice to install the castle nut backwards so the large openings are against the end plate so they are less likely to snag on things.
It's tightend with an old school castle nut wrench instead of the new style one.

Very interesting! I am in no means trying to be argumentative, but rather trying to broaden my knowledge. Do you have any links to more information on that? I have spent countless hours researching and reading on this platform of rifle and have never seen any mention of the castle nut being installed that way.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 7:29:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Also, the green stuff looks like Frog Lube.
Link Posted: 4/14/2013 11:37:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Also, the green stuff looks like Frog Lube.

Beat me to it. It looks like he put a fat layer of the thick grease Frog Lube in the lower before putting in the LPK, possibly thinking it would heat up and soak in
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 12:23:35 PM EDT
[#28]

Nice clean up OP.

Nice stake job too.

Link Posted: 4/15/2013 7:53:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Your a good friend OP. Very nice clean up and staking job
Link Posted: 4/15/2013 8:03:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Youre a good man. Great job!
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 5:55:47 AM EDT
[#31]
I would have done the clean up the easy way with brake cleaner.
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 9:54:05 AM EDT
[#32]
That is, in fact, a sexy stake job :)
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 12:54:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I just use a castle nut spanner (stock wrench) to remove staked castle nuts.  There's very little metal there and it's soft.  It goes past the staking just fine.
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 2:04:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Your a good friend OP. Very nice clean up and staking job

Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 2:04:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Youre a good man. Great job!

Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 2:06:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
That is, in fact, a sexy stake job :)

Haha, thanks! I strive to do my best
Link Posted: 4/16/2013 7:14:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Don't put castle but on backwards.  It's pointless. What is going to snag on those small notches that wasn't already snagged on the sling, sling swivel, sling mount, charging handle (especially the extended ones), sight, optic, safety/selector, BAD lever, stock bolt catch, etc?
Link Posted: 4/17/2013 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just use a castle nut spanner (stock wrench) to remove staked castle nuts.  There's very little metal there and it's soft.  It goes past the staking just fine.

yeah I do know that but I was just putting it out there because a lot of guys go spend 1000-2000 dollars on a gun and then buy the shittiest most inexpensive tools to work on them with and the low end wrenches can and do break trying to run the nut back past a good stake. just seemed like info some guys could use is all.
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 11:03:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah I do know that but I was just putting it out there because a lot of guys go spend 1000-2000 dollars on a gun and then buy the shittiest most inexpensive tools to work on them with and the low end wrenches can and do break trying to run the nut back past a good stake. just seemed like info some guys could use is all.

I hate being reminded that I spent close to 500 smackers on all the proper tools. I see it as a great investment though if I think about it enough haha!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2013 11:18:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Need OP's address so I can send him my AR's for cleaning.

He does great work.

TXL
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 12:52:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Need OP's address so I can send him my AR's for cleaning.

He does great work.

TXL

Thank you very much! I appreciate that!
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 1:23:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Wow. That looks 10X better. It has to function better too.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 8:36:18 AM EDT
[#43]
I've changed stocks too many times to want to mess with unstaking. Never had one come loose.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 7:47:07 PM EDT
[#44]
I stake mine also, but the "old way" with the castles toward the endplate is still being done in some circles...Oly still does this today.  I have seen some unstaked nuts that were loose, but ones I have owned never did.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 9:27:42 AM EDT
[#45]
nice job, that's about as perfect of a stake job as I've ever seen. I wish mine would look like that.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 9:43:01 AM EDT
[#46]
nice work.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

nice job, that's about as perfect of a stake job as I've ever seen. I wish mine would look like that.

Agreed, mine look like hell.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:35:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top