Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2012 8:54:01 AM EDT
The only cleaning kit I have has a 3 piece brass rod.

Pretty much a universal kit that I have used on my shotguns and pistols and on a .22 rifle.

Is there a reason to buy a special kit for my new AR?

I see talk of dewey rods and stuff. What is up with that.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 9:18:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The only cleaning kit I have has a 3 piece brass rod.

Pretty much a universal kit that I have used on my shotguns and pistols and on a .22 rifle.

Is there a reason to buy a special kit for my new AR?

I see talk of dewey rods and stuff. What is up with that.

Thanks

That's all I've used for years. I used to have a coated Dewey .30 rod, but I included it with my Savage when it was sold. I see no need for a one-piece/specialty rod, unless you have a precision rifle. For a run of the mill chrome lined barrel it's unnecessary IMHO. Plus, a one-piece rod isn't as easy to store as the 3-piece ones.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 9:24:54 AM EDT
[#2]
The joints on a three piece rod might mess up the crown if you have to clean from the barrel end, like on a Rem 597 and others where it's a bit of work to remove the bolt.  I have both and use the long rod.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 9:31:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The joints on a three piece rod might mess up the crown if you have to clean from the barrel end, like on a Rem 597 and others where it's a bit of work to remove the bolt.  I have both and use the long rod.

True, but with an AR there's no need to clean from the muzzle.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 10:20:25 AM EDT
[#4]
ok thanks. no need to spend more money on needless stuff.

again thanks

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 6:36:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I like the Dewey rods and that's what I use. The only thing I don't like about brass or aluminum rods is that they are soft and hard things can get imbedded in them and scratch the bore or chamber, so I use Dewey or steel rods.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 2:40:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I use a boresnake on my 597's and AR's.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top