Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/30/2011 12:51:41 PM EDT
Anyone know of a good quality punch set that's not going to bend or break easily for AR builds?
I've been through about three different sets and everything has crumbled. I don't mind paying good money for something that's actually going to hold up.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 12:56:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Brownells and Midway both have assorted Brass and Steel punch sets.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 1:02:38 PM EDT
[#2]
With the smaller punches you are on a steep ridgeline ballanceing between hardness and strength.

A bit too hard and any side force snapps it like a piece of ice and a bit too soft and it bends like a noodle

I use a lyman set that I got from Midway but I bend and snap them easily
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 1:09:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I built 10 ARs with a single Craftsman set that remains in use.  I would suggest getting a smaller hammer.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:22:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I built 10 ARs with a single Craftsman set that remains in use.  I would suggest getting a smaller hammer.

It's definitely not the hammer
I've been using a small plastic head mallet. I mean that thing is tiny.

The Craftsmen set lasted me the longest.
I've not broken anything...yet, but I've bent tons.
I picked up two at a gun show recently and they were both shot within a week.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 10:12:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I have been using my Brownell’s roll pin punch set for more than 20 years with no breaks or bends.
They also have a ‘starter’ set that has short tips that should be more resistant to breaking or bending.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:14:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I think its your technique bro.. Always hit those punches square and plumb don't hack on them..
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:35:05 PM EDT
[#7]
My Brownells' punches are still going strong.  I did bend the 1/16th roll pin holder.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top