Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/15/2011 6:41:15 PM EDT
Hey guys, heard good things about the Otis kits, but what should I do?

I hear they make an Ar-15 specific cleaning kit, but I plan on buying more guns in the future, such as a Mosin, and a pistol in the future.

Should I just get the "Otis Tactical Gun Cleaning System" from Midwayusa for about $35? It says it covers any pistol/rifle caliber from .17 to .50cal

I also plan on getting a front sight adjusting tool from them too.

Any other sites or kits I should use instead? Thanks
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 7:25:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I love my Otis kits. I have the one you spoke of in my patrol carry gear, one in my range bag and one of the deluxe kits at home. I've used Otis for years and have been happy with them.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 8:54:00 AM EDT
[#2]
you dont need a front sight tool for an AR, its very easy to do with a bullet or any household item and apair of pliers.

I have an otis kit, its nice to throw in the range bag, and to clean a pistol barrel real fast, but I use a cleaning rod for all my rifles.
Also the otis kit got stuck twice in my AR barrel, the larger "all caliber" patches need trimmed to pass through smoothly.
I have a .223 Bolt action and It had no problems with the otis and all caliber patches, so something about the chamber or the twist rate causes it to get stuck right in the throat area.

Its nice to have and worth $35, but I would get a one piece coated cleaning rod also.

Link Posted: 9/16/2011 9:39:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I think the Otis kits are good for field use (I have a multi-cal military kit), but for home and range I have a multi-cal tackle box and 1 piece rods. It is a lot easier to store larger bottles and packages of patches not to mention an array of brushes, misc tools, picks, pipe cleaners, etc. You might be surprised at how fast one fills up.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 12:39:38 PM EDT
[#4]
What do you guys recommend I use? The only thing I really do is go to the range
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 12:48:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I like mine. For an AR get the small caliber cleaning patches, never got any of those stuck. I used to use 2" square cleaning patches (which you can use according to the directions), but they would get stuck too often in my ARs.

I've screwed around too many times trying to get the site post rotated with a bullet tip. Finally bought the right tool and it is much easier. Probably not needed if you only have one rifle, but great if you plan on a larger collection.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are serious as a heart attack about keeping your weapons clean put together your own kit.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 10:12:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Love mine. Everything to clean my 9mm and 5.56 weapons.

Attaches to my vest easily.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I use the OTIS & GI kit

The otis can fit in my carbine grip
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 1:35:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Otis deluxe kit covers all my guns,no problems,great product A+
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:07:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought my Otis kit 18 years ago this fall, and the cables are still in perfect condition. I never used the Otis patches, and just used regular patches for whatever caliber used. The Otis patches are a pain in the ass. I never liked them.

Of coarse the nice thing about the Otis cables are you can pull the patches the way the bullet goes every time with no back and forth movement, like you would get with a rod.

IMHO the otis is the way to go. I havn't used a rod in years, except a short one to clean the chamber's.

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top