Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2011 8:35:16 AM EDT
Looking to put together a field kit for an AR. What spare parts, cleaning tools, or other tools do you consider essential?
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 8:40:32 AM EDT
[#1]
GI cleaning kit, Spare Complete Bolt.
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 9:53:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Another complete AR
Link Posted: 3/3/2011 7:40:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I like this cleaing kit, it's nice an compact:  Otis

And a spare bolt.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 5:23:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

And a spare bolt.

F that for 20, bucks I'll stick with the older roded USGI kit.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 6:37:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And a spare bolt.

Those routinely sell for 20-30 on eBay.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 6:40:14 AM EDT
[#6]
USGI cleaning kit, bottle of lube, and a broken shell extractor.  If I was heading out with a seasoned gun, maybe an extra bolt.

If I'm going to a class or something, I just bring all of the above and and extra gun.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 8:50:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And a spare bolt.

Ill still stick with usgi. never stuck a patch in a bore with the gi kit, but have read numoroous posts of stuck otis patches.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#8]
10-to-1 says that those who've gotten stuck patches were being stupid and not following the directions, and/or using the incorrect patch size.
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 4:40:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Q-tips
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 7:36:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Q-tips

Cleaning?
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 8:00:38 PM EDT
[#11]
For what it's worth my kit contains the following:

GI cleaning kit with a Bottle of CLP
Sight adjustment tool
Extra batteries for the Aimpoint
Shell Extractor
Go/NoGo gauge

***below in a heave duty ziplock bacg with a light coating of oil***
Extra fire control group w/springs
Extra set of Fire control group springs
Bolt Rebuild kit
*** in it's own seperate bag***
Extra bolt and Bolt Carrier (In a pinch (needed RFN) it's easier to replace the bolt and bolt carrier at once than dick around with just replacing the bolt.  You can replace that at a later time)
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 10:59:57 AM EDT
[#12]
USGI because you'd have a hard time knocking out a stuck case with an otis or bore snake. Also in addition to a spare bolt, I have a firing pin, firing pin retaining pin and a bolt cam pin. All the small parts that you'd loose easily if you dropped it in some high grass or whatever if you had to FIELD strip your rifle in the field.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:18:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Boresnake, small bottle of lube, spare FCG and BCG.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:35:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And a spare bolt.

Ill still stick with usgi. never stuck a patch in a bore with the gi kit, but have read numoroous posts of stuck otis patches.

I threw away all the otis cables from my three kits. Kept the jags & brushes. The rest went into the trash. The risk of stuck patches far outweighs any "benifits" of the Otis system.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:41:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Spare parts I keep in my gun case in a small plastic otter box: Disco, disco spring, trigger and hammer pins, complete mag catch assembly, firing pin, firing pin retaining pin, extractor, extractor spring w/ insert and O-ring and extractor pin, gas rings, aimpoint battery, broken shell extractor, front sight tool, spare .040" Front sight post (just in case an upper wout zero with a new BUIS).

Also always bring a Small bottle of Slip EWL & USGI cleaning kit on any range trip or class.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 3:35:17 PM EDT
[#16]
What risk?

I have never had a problem pulling an otis patch through a bore, whether it be an AR or my M1.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:54:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What risk?

I have never had a problem pulling an otis patch through a bore, whether it be an AR or my M1.

Neither have I, but I've seen others that have.  The otis is good because it is compact, but definately is more "risky" when compared to a good one piece rod.  It just sucks to have to fish a jag/patch out of your barrel when you pull too damn hard on the stupid cable.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:11:38 AM EDT
[#18]
I've never used one of these and now that I see the price, it seems way too high, but these tools seem pretty cool.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:28:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've never used one of these and now that I see the price, it seems way too high, but these tools seem pretty cool.

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/skus/p_100004235_1.jpg

That's what I have in my MIAD pistol grip.  The only thing I don't like about it is that the tool assembly comes off the MIAD attachment too easily, leaving it in the pistol grip.  Gotta grab something else to fish it out.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top