Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2010 9:11:36 PM EDT
I just got my first AR and a cleaning kit at the local sports shop. It included a brass bore brush and bronze chamber brush. I wasn't sure if I should use these or look for nylon instead.

Should I avoid the bore brush and use my boresnake and wet patches down the barrel instead? and for the chamber cleaning, should I ditch the bronze chamber brush and look for a nylon one?

thanks!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:31:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Brass/ bronze brush won't hurt anything.  Boresnake has a brass brush in it.  I find nylon bore brushes to be pretty useless...

- AG
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:01:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:20:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I just got my first AR and a cleaning kit at the local sports shop. It included a brass bore brush and bronze chamber brush. I wasn't sure if I should use these or look for nylon instead.

Should I avoid the bore brush and use my boresnake and wet patches down the barrel instead? and for the chamber cleaning, should I ditch the bronze chamber brush and look for a nylon one?

thanks!

Did your AR come with a manual?

One of the best things I bought was a Armorers manual to go along with the regular manual

I use GI clean kit 90% of the time

the brass/bronze bore/chamber brush wont hurt a chrome lined bore/chamber

I have used NYLON bore brush but in handgun only
Takes a little more elbow grease but they work

Some Bore foams/Cleaners dont like the metal type bore brush
Thats why NYLON is used sometimes

If I had a 500$$ Match Grade barrel I would treat it different

BTW

A good US GI clean kit  should be under 20 bucks

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top