Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2010 5:24:44 AM EDT
How often do you guys take out your extractor from the bolt of your AR's for cleaning?
I have been doing it every time because that is the way I was taught on my m16A2 when I went through Basic Training.
I have been noticing that my springs are getting really weak, causing some FTE failures.  I was told by my dealer that the spring weakness is due to taking it apart from the bolt
every time I clean my weapon...which I do after every shooting session.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:40:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I pull mine every time I clean it. If youve got a weak extractor then replace it or add a #60 O ring. Personally I would call Larue or BCM and get a replacement spring and insert set on the way.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:40:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
How often do you guys take out your extractor from the bolt of your AR's for cleaning?
I have been doing it every time because that is the way I was taught on my m16A2 when I went through Basic Training.
I have been noticing that my springs are getting really weak, causing some FTE failures.  I was told by my dealer that the spring weakness is due to taking it apart from the bolt
every time I clean my weapon...which I do after every shooting session

Once again, this is why you never take advice from a dealer/gun store employee.  Just order a 3 pack of extractor springs an inserts from BCM and you'll be GTG.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:48:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once again, this is why you never take advice from a dealer/gun store employee.  Just order a 3 pack of extractor springs an inserts from BCM and you'll be GTG.

Done, How long can I expect the springs/inserts to last?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:54:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Done, How long can I expect the springs/inserts to last?

I have over 6,000 on 1 carbine, no spring changes.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:19:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I used to clean it after every shoot. But not anymore. I'll take it out & clean it every 1K rounds now.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:47:05 AM EDT
[#6]
spring can last a lifetime of the upper.

insert and the extractor can be a problem after shooting several cases

I never had a single problem  even useing the BLUE INSERT
I never needed extra power spring also!

however I do have them in my tool box along with several black & blue  insert and orings

I guess Ive been lucky with 5 AR15`s since the 80`S
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:57:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I am a lazy sort and on my range guns I admit I don't even clean every time I shoot . If I have only shot a box or two I will give the gun a quick wipe and toss it in the safe.

If I have shot several hundred rounds I will patch the bore , wipe and lube the bolt and carrier and then store.

Any time the gun looks really gritty I then go to town ,break down the bolt includeing the extractor and clean everything .

I do not replace extractor springs or inserts unless they are trashed or the gun isn't running corectly.

I shoot mostly full sized rifles (very little carbine use) and just use the standard grade blue or black inserts. I have never felt the need for o-rings or the high priced (enhanced)
inserts.

I carry and use oil and I carry some spares (includeing extractor and springs) . Honestly I can not remember any failures on any of my AR's . Basic cleaning and a bit of oil and they run.

I am "The ar guy" at my club and problem guns are brought to me every week.No oil,crappy ammo with no cleaning or oil.guys takeing stuff apart to clean or "fix" and not putting it together corectly pretty much covers the problems. Usually I give the gun a bit of oil and grab my mag with good ammo and it will run just fine.

Don't overthink the gun. The bugs have been worked out years ago and most of the "stuff" guys are trying to sell to make it better is just not needed
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:05:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Every time.
Technically springs fatigue as they are cycled.
So I guess if a person took it apart every day he might have a problem in twenty years or so. YMMV
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top