Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2009 7:57:49 PM EDT
New to the AR platform and have been learning a bunch from the wise minds here in the hive. I have a question and I hope that I am not crusified for it. I just finished my first AR and I was wondering if I am doing anything wrong in the way that I clean it and lube it. In regards to its lubrication I run a little grease along the carrier rails, the fireing pin, bolt exterior and the cam pin. Just been basically following the suggestions here:

Lube Points

In regards to my cleaning I have been stripping the entire BCG and spraying it down with some Shotgun and Choke Tube Cleaner ( just useing this till I run out will be getting some Break Free and CLP when I am out of this). With some of the stubbin carbon I  have been lightly useing a soft brass brush to gently scrub it, and then relubricating it when I am done. Just wondering If I am doing this right. Want to get started on the right foot and not ruin my Spike BCG.

Link Posted: 12/15/2009 2:36:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Here's what I do for the BCG.

Go to the hardware store and get a can of odorless mineral spirits.

Use a tall container with lid, such as those plastic ones the preformed potato chips come in.

Fill container with mineral spirits and a couple ounces of CLP and mix.

Drop in BCG and soak for a few hours.

Remove BCG and wipe off individual pieces.

Spray down with gun solvent (Gun Scrubber or equivalent).

Lubricate with CLP, assemble and function check.

Should produce good results without the use of abrasive scrubbing to get clean.
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 5:17:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I use Carbon Killer made by Slip 2000. I simply soak one end (the whole BCG won't fit in the container) and let it soak for about 10 minutes, flip it over, 10 minutes, take it out, break it down and wipe it with Slip 2000 oil or CLP. It's imprtant to get all of the Carbon Killer off and I like to leave my bolts a little wet with oil.
Carbon Killer is supposed to replace the need for a scrubbing agent and takes a lot less time than the previous suggestion.
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 6:05:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Wow

Takes me all of 20 minutes to completely clean my AR.

Just do what you've been doing, strip down the BCG, spray it & wipe it clean.

For lube, I think more is better in the AR. But that's me. Watch for metal on metal contact wear. If you start to see an increase of it you need more lube on that area.
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 7:30:44 AM EDT
[#4]
So I guess the soft brass brush may be to harsh then!?
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 11:20:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So I guess the sft brass brush may be to harsh then!?

Brass brush is fine, it is MUCH softer than the steel BCG.  I use a brass scraper to get built up carbon out of the inside of the BCG, and a empty .45 casing to scrape carbon off the back of the bolt tail.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 12:05:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I was wondering about the brass brush. It looks like to me that it may be leaving something behind if that makes sence. Looks like there is some brass color left on the BCG after I am done!
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 6:52:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Wow

For lube, I think more is better in the AR. But that's me. Watch for metal on metal contact wear. If you start to see an increase of it you need more lube on that area.

I think what these guys are referring to that takes time to clean is the Carbon build-up on the actual bolt where the gas rings are when you remove it from the BCG. Can't just wipe that shizzy off!
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 6:54:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Wow

I think what these guys are referring to that takes time to clean is the Carbon build-up on the actual bolt near the gas rings when you remove it from the BCG. Can't just wipe that shizzy off!

SORRY, SOMEHOW THIS POSTED TWICE!!!
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 2:53:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow

I think what these guys are referring to that takes time to clean is the Carbon build-up on the actual bolt where the gas rings are when you remove it from the BCG. Can't just wipe that shizzy off!

You are correct sir.

That is what was implied.

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top