Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/2/2009 8:51:45 PM EDT
i know it makes a great lube on lots of things and since attracting dirt and grime is a direct result of sticky lubes would this work.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:10:00 PM EDT
[#1]
You're really off track.

Graphite is not recommended for ARs since it reacts chemically with aluminum.  Some say this is a non-issue because the anodizing should protect the aluminum from corrosion, but others say its still a bad idea.

Second, it won't work because graphite is a powder which will not adhere to the surfaces.

Third, your belief that lube "attracts dirt" is mistaken.

Any grease type lubricant would make a pretty good trigger lube, just daub it on the contact surfaces.  A heavy moly grease will make a noticeable difference in trigger pull and should last a while.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:44:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Some Moly Greases have Graphite in them.

I use Slide Glide, though other like Tetra, SC Grease, or Jardine's Extreme.

Remember a light touch is all you need.  A little goes a loong way.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:09:25 AM EDT
[#3]

I did not say all Lubes, some lubes are  a dry lube which dirt will not stick too, but where  a grease or heavy oil will allow grit to stick to it.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:13:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I am using boron nitride powder mixed into some mil tech 2 grease.  Boron nitride is also called white graphite,
much cleaner than graphite or moly and is more heat resistant.  A touch of the powder on your fingers and it feels extremely smooth.  It is so safe to use that it does find a use in creams and lotions to make them feel silky and smooth, it is what gives some lotions a pearly appearance.

It is also being used as a bullet coating in place of moly or tungsten disulphide.

I have even added a little to some Mobil 1 oil and use as a super slick oil.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:37:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I use Permatex Anti-Sieze paste lube on the trigger/hammer mating surfaces on all of my firearms.  It makes the trigger pull much smoother.  It's good for chole tube threads as well.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:13:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am using boron nitride powder mixed into some mil tech 2 grease.

I tried the same thing using synthetic grease and it works great. I'll have to try the HBN in synthetic oil.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:24:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You're really off track.

Graphite is not recommended for ARs since it reacts chemically with aluminum.  Some say this is a non-issue because the anodizing should protect the aluminum from corrosion, but others say its still a bad idea.

Second, it won't work because graphite is a powder which will not adhere to the surfaces.

Any grease type lubricant would make a pretty good trigger lube, just daub it on the contact surfaces.  A heavy moly grease will make a noticeable difference in trigger pull and should last a while.

Graghite is BTG.  Save it for your locks and such.
Stick with a recommended lube.

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top